Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 23, 2019, 02:06:48 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Bird Identification Q&A  |  Topic: Goosander or Merganser at Villaricos? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goosander or Merganser at Villaricos?  (Read 2534 times)
Barrie

« on: December 06, 2015, 11:17:50 pm »

This morning off the point just S of Villaricos (on the village side of the ramble) east of Almeria and Cabo de Gata, and west of Aguilas,  we saw what we took to be a Merganser. Both Jan and I had a very good view of it fishing in the breakers very close to the shore. Distance about 50m and viewed easily in our telescope.

Unfortunately I did not have either camera of Field Guide with me.

When we got back to our motorhome, and looked it up, we had to doubt it was a Merganser because we are absolutely certain it had a very distinct hook on the end of its red sided bill - so this would make it a Goosander.

But could it really have been a Goosander?

Of course, when I went back with a camera it had gone!

Barrie
Barrie

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 04:06:16 pm »

Well I spoke to Peter on Saturday at Juzcar, and was pleased to learn that, although not exactly common here in Spain, it really *is* possible for it to be a Goosander. And since the bill is so distinctly different to a Merganser, I really am now absolutely confident that is what is was.

Barrie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Bird Identification Q&A  |  Topic: Goosander or Merganser at Villaricos? « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length