Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2018, 09:39:44 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: May Field meeting to El Torcal, Malaga Province « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: May Field meeting to El Torcal, Malaga Province  (Read 15334 times)
Bob Wright
Bob Wright
Administrator

« on: March 27, 2016, 11:34:54 am »

Members:

We are scheduled to visit El Torcal and surrounds on Saturday 21 May.  Details will appear shortly.

This is a most beautiful area with incredible rock formations and for those travelling from afar I have received a message from members John and Grethe Jastrey who live immediately below the area offering bed and breakfast accommodation to members as follows: 

SPECIAL OFFER FOR ANDALUCIAN BIRD SOCIETY; 14. - 16. MAY 2016

Welcome to B&B for the monthly meeting at El Torcal. We have 4 double rooms, all with in-suite bathrooms. Stay with us before and/or after the outing. We are situated a 25 minute drive from the Visitors centre at El Torcal - see our web-site at www.vistadeltorcal.no/english

Price per room with breakfast- 60 Euros

They can also arrange dinner at 15 Euros pr person.

Bob Wright

Derek Etherton
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 11:39:09 am »

May I ask for a volunteer to do a write up of this meeting please?

Derek....magazine editor.
Bob Wright
Bob Wright
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 01:24:06 pm »

5 April

Just notified that new members Pauline Horton and Graham Leach will be attending and so will I.

Bob Wright

Franky no Hair
Frank Hair of Buitre birding Holidays
ABS Member

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 11:02:36 am »

May Field Meeting at El Torcal de Antequera Nature Reserve

Date: May 21st

Meeting point: Bar El Oasis – Villanueva de la Concepción

Meeting time:

First call: 6:00 to try the Eagle Owl hooting (visual contact would be great!) and the first flights of Griffon Vultures and Peregrine Falcons.
General call: 9:30

Leader for the day: Luis Alberto Rodríguez

Directions to the meeting point: When coming from Antequera, take A343 (signed “El Torcal”) and A7075 to El Torcal (do not follow A343 to Valle de Abdalajis!) up to Villanueva. When coming from Malaga, exit A45 at Casabermeja and follow the signs to Malaga. After going through the tunnel below the A45, take right at the roundabout, go on parallel to the highway and take “Almogia – Villanueva de la Concepción” to the left at the junction. Follow the signs to Villanueva. Bar El Oasis is near the west end of the village towards Almogía (see map attached).

Those coming from Antequera that do not want to join the first call, can take the road up to El Torcal to be there at 9:45 instead of going down to Villanueva, but the Visitors Centre do not open until 10:00 and we should start our walk there as soon as possible to avoid visitors!!

The meeting:

We will drive from Villanueva to the car park just at the entrance to the Nature Reserve in order to minimize the number of cars in the convoy.

Once at the Visitros Centre, we will walk the Green Path. It will take around one and a half hour to do it slowly and paying attention to the birds. It will require wearing comfortable hiking shoes. Some stretches of the path can be a bit tricky so those unwilling to do the “birdwalk” can visit the Mirador (viewpoint) de Las Ventanillas, just 50 m from the VC to enjoy the wonderful views and the close flights of the Griffon Vultures, or walk the initial and final sections of the Green Path where they will find more or less the same birds as in the middle.

We will then get the cars again to call in two more places of the Nature Reserve and start a tour around the Sierra de La Chimenea (west to El Torcal) and the north cliffs of El Torcal to be back to the car park in the evening.

Accommodation in the area: La Posada del Torcal (www.torcalboutiquehotel.cominfo@torcalboutiquehotel.com Tel +34 685 441 642 contact Anna or Dominique) offers discounts for attendants to the field meeting . Any other hotel or hostel in Antequera.

Clothing and food: wear some warm clothes for the first hours of the day (El Torcal is 1.000 m asl on average!!), hat, sunscreen, a bit of water and COMFORTABLE SHOES. Bring your packed lunch.

Possible birds: Griffon Vulture, Golden, Bonelli’s and Short-toed Eagle, Peregrine Falcon, Eagle and Little Owl, Alpine Swift, Thekla Lark, Crag Martin, Black-eared and Black Wheatear, Blue Rock Thrush, Sardinian, Spectacled, Subalpine, Dartford and Melodious Warbler, Woodchat Shrike, Chough, Rock Sparrow and Cirl and Rock Bunting.

Other sites in the area: Valle de Abdalajis cliffs, El Chorro , Laguna de Fuente de Piedra.
May Field Meeting at El Torcal de Antequera Nature Reserve

Date: May 21st

Meeting point: Bar El Oasis – Villanueva de la Concepción

Meeting time:

First call: 6:00 to try the Eagle Owl hooting (visual contact would be great!) and the first flights of Griffon Vultures and Peregrine Falcons.
General call: 9:30

Leader for the day: Luis Alberto Rodríguez

Directions to the meeting point: When coming from Antequera, take A343 (signed “El Torcal”) and A7075 to El Torcal (do not follow A343 to Valle de Abdalajis!) up to Villanueva. When coming from Malaga, exit A45 at Casabermeja and follow the signs to Malaga. After going through the tunnel below the A45, take right at the roundabout, go on parallel to the highway and take “Almogia – Villanueva de la Concepción” to the left at the junction. Follow the signs to Villanueva. Bar El Oasis is near the west end of the village towards Almogía (see map attached).

Those coming from Antequera that do not want to join the first call, can take the road up to El Torcal to be there at 9:45 instead of going down to Villanueva, but the Visitors Centre do not open until 10:00 and we should start our walk there as soon as possible to avoid visitors!!

The meeting:

We will drive from Villanueva to the car park just at the entrance to the Nature Reserve in order to minimize the number of cars in the convoy.

Once at the Visitros Centre, we will walk the Green Path. It will take around one and a half hour to do it slowly and paying attention to the birds. It will require wearing comfortable hiking shoes. Some stretches of the path can be a bit tricky so those unwilling to do the “birdwalk” can visit the Mirador (viewpoint) de Las Ventanillas, just 50 m from the VC to enjoy the wonderful views and the close flights of the Griffon Vultures, or walk the initial and final sections of the Green Path where they will find more or less the same birds as in the middle.

We will then get the cars again to call in two more places of the Nature Reserve and start a tour around the Sierra de La Chimenea (west to El Torcal) and the north cliffs of El Torcal to be back to the car park in the evening.

Accommodation in the area: La Posada del Torcal (www.torcalboutiquehotel.cominfo@torcalboutiquehotel.com Tel +34 685 441 642 contact Anna or Dominique) offers discounts for attendants to the field meeting . Any other hotel or hostel in Antequera.

Clothing and food: wear some warm clothes for the first hours of the day (El Torcal is 1.000 m asl on average!!), hat, sunscreen, a bit of water and COMFORTABLE SHOES. Bring your packed lunch.

Possible birds: Griffon Vulture, Golden, Bonelli’s and Short-toed Eagle, Peregrine Falcon, Eagle and Little Owl, Alpine Swift, Thekla Lark, Crag Martin, Black-eared and Black Wheatear, Blue Rock Thrush, Sardinian, Spectacled, Subalpine, Dartford and Melodious Warbler, Woodchat Shrike, Chough, Rock Sparrow and Cirl and Rock Bunting.

Other sites in the area: Valle de Abdalajis cliffs, El Chorro , Laguna de Fuente de Piedra.

* map for may 2.JPG (110.1 kB, 500x375 - viewed 239 times.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 02:16:52 pm by Franky no Hair » Logged

For long weekends or just days birding come with me to this wonderful part of Spain visit my web site at http://www.birdinginspain.co.uk/
Toots
ABS Member

Keen and gaining expertise slowly

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 07:50:00 pm »

Very pleased that the date is now 21st - I can be there. But probably not at 6am !

Ellie
Derek Etherton
ABS Member

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 11:28:24 pm »

B & I will be there LA.  Staying in the village overnight so will be with you for the early call.

Derek
Garry Pearson
ABS Member

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 11:55:01 am »

Can anyone recommend a hotel i Antequera?
annafarrimond
ABS Member

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 02:34:42 pm »

Hello! It´s been a while since Ray and I have joined you on a trip.  We will be joining you on 21st May at El Torcal!  Looking forward to it! Anna
Franky no Hair
Frank Hair of Buitre birding Holidays
ABS Member

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 09:36:55 am »

a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 04:21:56 pm by Franky no Hair » Logged

For long weekends or just days birding come with me to this wonderful part of Spain visit my web site at http://www.birdinginspain.co.uk/
JeffB
ABS Member

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 10:37:53 am »

I would like to come to the El Torcal meeting please.  I hear from John & Maureen Taylor that the start time may be 6am to try to see an Eagle Owl - can I assume we meet at the Visitors Centre?

Regards

Jeff Booth
Derek Etherton
ABS Member

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 06:19:45 pm »

I would like to come to the El Torcal meeting please.  I hear from John & Maureen Taylor that the start time may be 6am to try to see an Eagle Owl - can I assume we meet at the Visitors Centre?

Regards

Jeff Booth

No the meeting point is......Meeting point: Bar El Oasis – Villanueva de la Concepción for 1st & 2nd call.
Brenda
Supporting ABS
ABS Member

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 08:29:14 pm »

We are going to TRY to come...it all depends, as usual. Definitely not 6am!

Brenda

Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

Cómpeta - Axarquía - Málaga

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 10:37:42 am »

We´ll be there - I´ll go for 6:00 (hoping for a lift!) while Mogens likes his morning sleep!

Petrea

Bob Wright
Bob Wright
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 11:20:14 am »

I'll be with you along, I hope, with Jenny.  Steve and Elena Powell also hoping to attend.

Bob Wright

geoffinsweden48
ABS Member

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 12:23:17 am »

We'll be there for the later call, This'll be the last meeting for us before returning to Sweden. Hopefully we're back later on in the year. Our latest plans are to spend couple of months on Öland in Baltic Sea during the autumn migration. Hope to see a few Spanish migrants there before there long journey south. Geoff & Liza Chapman
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: May Field meeting to El Torcal, Malaga Province « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length