Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2018, 01:43:08 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Migration  |  Topic: 2018 spring migration « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2018 spring migration  (Read 660 times)
Sean Mac

« on: March 01, 2018, 03:43:48 pm »

Presume everyone's migrated to Facebook but anyway...

Cracking male Subalpine Warbler in Almunecar on 28 Feb. V pleasant surprise in a clifftop area with a small party of displaying Crested Tits.

Seems v early for Subalp. Do they overwinter in Andalucia in small numbers? I'm never usually here in winter so no real handle on what might have decided to have looked at the Med last autumn and said "nah..."
Sean Mac

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 12:49:55 pm »

...followed by interesting (to me) day on Thurs 1st with belting rain before a dry window in the weather opened in the afternoon and stuff was piling through (back to the?) West, with swifts (sp.), house martins and first 3 (barn) swallows I've seen since arriving a few days ago. Then a party of about 15 Lesser Kestrels came through west, which was the biggest number I've ever seen in one day (I need to get out more obviously).

A look at heavy seas from a seafront cafe produced a raft of gulls incl 10 or so adult Meds, a flypast Curlew, and then further out a group of 3 or 4 small Shears, presumably Balearic, and what appeared to be a larger Shear, perhaps Scopoli's or Sooty, but I don't know what you see off the coast here. I couldn't really see anything on it and was really going on flight action and apparent size. Same goes for the skua that flirted with harassing a gull and then headed off east; looked too rangy and agile to be a Bonxie but couldn't say any more than that, the bird looking all dark at range.

Wished I'd had my scope with me as I've had to chuck 3 'patch' ticks away there due to only bringing 7* bins in my hand luggage. Frustrating!
Brenda
Supporting ABS
ABS Member

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 01:47:02 pm »

Hello Sean,

My husband tells me the Subalpine Warblers are not known to over winter here, but are often early to come back. Lots of migration going on at the moment. We have just had masses of Black Kites and a Golden Eagle flying over Ronda.

Brenda

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Migration  |  Topic: 2018 spring migration « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length