Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 07:28:07 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Migration  |  Topic: The Plight of Lesser Kestrels (Falco naumanni) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Plight of Lesser Kestrels (Falco naumanni)  (Read 14285 times)
mike in Jerez
ABS Member

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 05:43:18 pm »

Well I`m willing to translate whatever you (or anyone else)needs translating - good causes need supporting!
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 09:18:58 pm »

Well I`m willing to translate whatever you (or anyone else)needs translating - good causes need supporting!

You are very kind Mike and certainly we welcome and accept your offer. Hopefully Stephen will draft a handout that can be printed in English and Spanish. Stephen??

Peter

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
john
ABS Member

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 06:46:24 pm »

I've just discovered from a thread about Hoopoes elsewhere (Iberianature Forum) that you can actually buy (albeit by special order I think) nest boxes specifically designed for Lesser Kestrels n the UK.   See details at www.jacobijayne.co.uk/nest-boxes-by-species/hoopoe/nest-box-1fna/ - embarrasingly not only are they based a few miles where I live in Canterbury (and en route to a favourite birding site), but also one of the directors of the company is an ex-student of mine!

john
clive
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 10:39:43 pm »

:)

embarrasingly not only are they based a few miles where I live in Canterbury (and en route to a favourite birding site), but also one of the directors of the company is an ex-student of mine!

Will that put the price up or down?  ;D
john
ABS Member

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 11:59:51 pm »

I wouldn't dare count any chickens here, but let's just say I'm confident that the price wouldn't go up! 

John
john
ABS Member

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 05:20:54 pm »

I happened to meet a birder who works for Fundacion Migres when I was out in Spain last week and have since had correspondence with him (and a colleague) about this issue.  Having put up nest boxes in Tarifa this year, they're quite keen to do so in Alcala.  Hopefully, we can manage to get some news coverage and work-in a mention of the ABS.  Perhaps we could chip in and pay for some of the boxes,

John 
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 06:40:51 pm »

I happened to meet a birder who works for Fundacion Migres when I was out in Spain last week and have since had correspondence with him (and a colleague) about this issue.  Having put up nest boxes in Tarifa this year, they're quite keen to do so in Alcala.  Hopefully, we can manage to get some news coverage and work-in a mention of the ABS.  Perhaps we could chip in and pay for some of the boxes,

John

Sorry not to have been in touch John or replied here sooner. Busy lad at the moment. Depending on the cost, I do not see why we couldn't fork-out some money for the boxes. Let me know asap the costs and number of boxes being discussed. Hopefully Stephen will come up with the wording for a promotion leaflet and then Mike can also do a translation. We really do need some publicity on this idea to get things moving.

Peter

Peter

clive
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 10:24:22 pm »

Any reply from the link I gave re having the nesting boxes made by local potters?. The UK company that John mentions has a nest box that says its durable but it does look a bit "plasticky"...

It would be good to source the boxes from a more local area in my opinion....

C
john
ABS Member

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 10:47:47 pm »

I agree that local sources would be preferable,

John
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 06:23:35 pm »

I agree that local sources would be preferable,

John

But............ with limited finances then economics come into play. So the policy would have to be cost in addition to best available quality - value for money. Of course the better the price then the more boxes we can purchase and site! Agree local sources need to be asked first and then it is easy to compare the prices. Stephen should be back from Scotland soon so he might like an input here.

Peter

Peter

Ray_G

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 02:10:44 pm »

I am pleased that so many ABS members seem to be keen to assist Lesser Kestrels. Whilst I can see the possible benefits of overcoming the negative aspects of renovation, is it certain that nest site depletion is wholely the problem associated with the LK population decline? The original article that started this thread referred to the timing of food resource hatching and the Castro Verde experiment stresses that areas where there was suitable foraging were chosen for the use of boxes. It also stated that the lack of nest sites was not a problem in Spain. It is interesting to see the way that with an exponential increase in box provision, in Castro Verde, there was very quickly a stabalisation in the population of occupied nests. Food limitation? Could the development taking place in Spain have caused a reduction in foraging area and have caused the decline in the LK population? I am thinking both in terms of building and changes in agricultural practises.

As the ABS project seems to be well underway, what do the people in Tarifa say about their success, or not. Is there really a problem with nesting sites in Alcala? ( I am sure John has a good idea). If there are many new sites provided would the increase in breeding pairs cause a reduction in brood success due to lack of foraging area? I would suggest that some thought should be given to these types of issues and some careful research done on the success of any nest box introduction area brood survival compared to a similar site using tradition nesting sites.

I do not wish to appear to be trying to put a damper on the idea. Not being privy to the discussions taking place outside of the Forum I do not know how carefully these other issues are being thought about. It would be a shame to get local support from the owners of houses in the area and find there was no proven improvment in the population numbers. It could back fire with a lack of support for any future projects that ABS might want local involvement with.

I hope those of you actively engaged in the scheme do not feel I am interfering. You all know the area and its birds far better than I do.

Ray G
john
ABS Member

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 05:44:15 pm »

You've raised some interesting points, Ray.  I'm sure you're right in suggesting other factors are involved and that a lack of breeding sites is not necessarily the main factor.   However, I think it would smack of complacancy if we did nothing to promote the conservation of this species.  One good way to raise awareness would be through the PR potential of such a scheme.

As to the situation in Alcala, not having a series of detailed counts over many years it's difficult to draw any firm conclusions.  However, just pottering round the village it is clear that no (or little regard) is shown towards LK nesting sites when constructing/renovating buildings.  A nest box scheme would offer a relatively low cost/high profile way of bringing the plight of this charismatic bird to a wider audience.

I hope we manage to meet up this April if for no other reason than showing you the LKs from our terrace,

John
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Migration  |  Topic: The Plight of Lesser Kestrels (Falco naumanni) « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length