Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2017, 07:43:52 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: Field meeting for Feb 2017 « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Field meeting for Feb 2017  (Read 2735 times)
Franky no Hair
Frank Hair of Buitre birding Holidays
ABS Member

« on: November 17, 2016, 08:55:43 am »

Event:-  Andalucia Birding Society visit to Extremadura   

Date:- 18th February

Meeting Point:- Hotel Don Juan, Obando, Badajoz  06731

Time:- 9.30am

Leader for the day:- William Haworth,

Directions to the meeting point:- next to N430, 2 kms west of Navalvillar de Pela

Information about the meeting:-

We will first visit the newly-flooded reservoir at Alcollarín, then work through the rice fields of Vegas Altas for waders and feeding Cranes. At the end of the afternoon we will go to Moheda Alta to watch the Cranes move to their roosting areas. This is the area of the largest concentration of Common Cranes in the world. Target birds: Common Crane, Great crested Grebe (spectacular numbers), Great Egret, Gadwall, Spoonbill, Marsh Harrier, Black-winged Stilt, Snipe, Greenshank, Spotted Redshank, Penduline Tit, Red Avadavat, Waxbill

Accommodation in the area:-

Hotel Don Juan, Obando (€52 double room incl. breakfast)
La Lozana, Navalvillar de Pela (€60 double room incl. breakfast)

Clothing and food:-

The weather in mid-February could be anything from sunny and shirt-sleeves to cold and wet. We’ll check a week or so in advance and advise.
We will take a picnic lunch, and if the weather is wet we’ll have a menú lunch in a restaurant for about €10.

Other sites in the area for those staying in the area:-

La Serena and Trujillo–Cáceres grasslands for steppe birds. Great and Little Bustard, Pin-tailed and Black-bellied Sandgrouse, Stone Curlew, Calandra Lark
Mérida – Roman monuments and birding on river Guadiana. Purple Gallinule, Penduline Tit, Spoonbill
Monfragüe National Park (100 kms to north) – Black and Griffon Vultures, Spanish Imperial Eagle, Bonelli’s Eagle
Montánchez – Alpine Accentor, Hawfinch
Arrocampo reservoir (100 kms to north) – Purple Gallinule, Bluethroat, Penduline Tit

Sunday 19th February

For people who want a further organised day’s birding, there is the opportunity to visit the vast steppe grasslands of La Serena. This is the largest area of steppe in Western Europe, very sparsely inhabited and given over to mainly low-intensity agriculture.

It is a major stronghold for several interesting species: The resident birds are Great and Little Bustard, Pin-tailed and Black-bellied Sandgrouse, Stone Curlew, Golden and Bonelli’s Eagles, Red-billed Chough, Calandra, Crested and Thekla Larks. In the winter there are big numbers of visitors from Northern Europe: Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Common Starlings mixed with the flocks of resident Spotless Starlings, Lapwing, Golden Plover. In the last 3 years it has also been an over-wintering site for Dotterel.

It is useful to have the services of a local guide as the birds are likely to be widely dispersed and can be difficult to find. A guide still doesn’t guarantee success on all species, but provides a significantly better chance.

For lunch we will take a picnic. These can be arranged through Ana, William’s wife, for €8. If the weather is poor, we will go to a restaurant for a simple menú for about €10.
For the cost of this trip please contact William direct. Contact details on the ABS web site.

For long weekends or just days birding come with me to this wonderful part of Spain visit my web site at http://www.birdinginspain.co.uk/
Claus Quist

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 12:35:24 pm »

Hi.

I am Claus, ABS member from Denmark, back in Spain from 7 Jan. I would like to join the Extremadura excursion but I am dependent on someone to give me a ride. I have been getting one with either David Hird or Derek and Barbara Etherton before. I would also like to go to the meeting at Fuente de Piedra. Anyone going?  I can be picked up at any train station along the Malaga- Fuengirola line.
 Thanks.

Best wishes Claus Quist
Claus Quist

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 12:38:24 pm »

Hello Again.

My email. ana19claus51@hotmail.com and phone: 004529823994

Best wihes Claus Quist
Derek Etherton
ABS Member

Magazine editor

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 03:04:37 pm »

Hi Claus......I suspect most local members will be making 4 or 5 days out of this trip, we certainly are.  Why not consider car hire, as of today when I look on www.doyouspain.com  I see Friday to Monday car hire  for 3.12 euros! 

Derek
Trevor Hexter
ABS Member

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 09:10:39 am »

Hi Frank

Kept meaning to say "Thank you" for posting this information early enough for us to organise our time.  Sorry Claus, we are coming from the other side of Andalucía and like Derek are planning a few days around the area before returning to the UK via Madrid, hope someone more local is able to help you out.

Looking forward to a great trip.

Regards

Trevor
Franky no Hair
ABS Member

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 07:20:47 pm »

Hello.

I am Claus Quist from Denamark, back in Spain for the winter/spring.  I would like to go on the Extremadura trip but need a ride. Can anyone pick me up at any station along the Malaga- Fuengirola line. ( I will of course pay for the ride). I suppose that would be the day before the actual excursion?
Best wishes
Claus Quist

For long weekends or just days birding come with me to this wonderful part of Spain visit my web site at http://www.birdinginspain.co.uk/
Bob Wright
Bob Wright
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 11:46:10 am »

Fingers crossed, eyes should be workig so, all being well, will be thinking of joining Extremadura group and spending up to 4 or 5 days in the area.  Happy Christams and New Year one and all.

Bob

Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

Cómpeta - Axarquía - Málaga

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 08:35:22 am »

Mogens and I will attend. And do the Sunday extra as well.
Will be in Hotel Don Juan. Sure to see familiar faces there!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 09:33:02 am by Petrea » Logged

Franky no Hair
ABS Member

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 05:33:51 pm »

Hi Frank,
We intend joining the field meeting on 18th February.
We have booked in Hotel Don Juan for the weekend.
Looking forward to our first visit to the area.
Pauline & John Horton & Graham Leach.

Pauline Horton
ABS Member

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 06:43:52 pm »

We are interested in joining the Sunday additional guided tour at Extremadura but i cannot find an E-mail address for William Haworth.
Would be grateful if you could send me one.
Many thanks
Pauline
Wilkinson999
ABS Member

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 09:12:40 pm »

Hello Frank,

Peter & I hope to join for the February meeting saturday & sunday.
Also next saturday at Fuenta de la Piedra.

Kind regards,

Helen Burgers
Brenda
Supporting ABS
ABS Member

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 12:20:07 pm »

William's email is : william@extraspain.com

Claudia.t
ABS Member

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 05:02:26 pm »

Hello Frank
Have booked at hotel Juan for the February meeting.
Would also like to do the Sunday.
Regards
Claudia
Derek Etherton
ABS Member

Magazine editor

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 11:04:17 am »

Barbara & Jerry Laycock and both of us will be there Frank, travelling together.
Lindsay Pheasant

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 10:08:09 pm »

Hi Frank

Keith and I will be attending

Lindsay
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: Field meeting for Feb 2017 « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length