Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 01:54:34 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: field meeting for June 2017 to the sierras de Andujar. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: field meeting for June 2017 to the sierras de Andujar.  (Read 2171 times)
Franky no Hair
Frank Hair of Buitre birding Holidays
ABS Member

« on: April 03, 2017, 02:47:23 pm »

Event

Birdwatching – Sierras de Andujar Natural Park

Date

17-06-2017

Meeting Point

Los Pinos Complex Hotel.

Time

8:30 h. – 18:00 h.

Leader of the day

Jose Luis Sánchez

Directions to the meeting point

Motorway A4 to Madrid. Route Sevilla - Córdoba - Andújar. In Andújar take the exit to Santuario Virgen de la Cabeza, road JA-6177. After 14,2 km driving you get Los Pinos Complex Hotel.

GPS Coordinates: 38° 07' 42,00" N 3° 57' 57,00" O

Information about the meeting

We’ll visit the Sierra de Andújar Natural Park. This natural space forms part of the Sierra Morena mountain range, in the North of Andalusia, and lies in the Northwest corner of the province of Jaén.

It has a landscape formed from granite, quartz and slate, which is bordered by two rivers - the Jándula and the Yeguas. This Natural Park currently holds around 70% of the world population of Iberian Lynx (c.250 individuals).

In this quiet and relatively unpopulated region, Spain’s wild animals thrive. As well as Iberian Lynx, Otter, Wild Boar, Mouflon, Red & Fallow Deer are occasionally to be seen. This magnificent natural reserve also hold a large population of raptor species.

Itinerary:

At 8:30 am we’ll leave for our first spot, the dam of the El Encinarejo Reservoir and the picnic area along the bank of the river Jándula. 10 kms from los Pinos.

After – or before lunch, depend on the bird activity in that area – we’ll drive back the same road to take the road to La Lancha Reservoir, our next spot. Birding en route.

Then will get some of the best vantage points to see birds. We’ll spend the rest of the day there.

Accommodation in the area

-La Caracola Rural Hotel. Nice charming rural hotel. http://www.lacaracolahotelrural.com/

Owner’s name is Ramón. Phone: 633515679

Email: lacaracolacasarural@gmail.com

Let Ramón know you are coming for the ABS meeting with Jose Luis Sánchez, the leader.

-Los Pinos Complex Hotel. http://www.lospinos.es/formulario_edicion.htm

-Hotel Sierra de Andújar. Phone: 953 12 25 30

-Hotel del Val. http://www.peraltahoteles.com/esp/index.asp?secc=/hoteldelval

Clothing and food

At this time of the year it may get quite warm. So, you should bring sun screen, hat, comfortable clothes and walking shoes.

We’ll eat our lunch in the field, so bring your own food and water.

Possible birds

Black and Griffon vulture, Spanish imperial, Golden, Booted and Short-toed eagle, Iberian magpie, Iberian green and Great-spotted woodpecker, Subalpine warbler, Dartford warbler, Nuthatch, Crested tit, Woodchat shrike, Southern grey shrike, Grey wagtail, Mistle thrush, Blue rock thrush, Hoopoe, Woodlark, Thekla lark, Red-rumped swallow, Crag martin, Golden oriole, Red-billed chough, Raven, Rock bunting, Corn bunting, Rock sparrow, Hawfinch, Green finch, Grey wagtail, Kingfisher …

Other sites in the area for those staying over night

-The road to Baños de la Encina is a very interesting area for birdwatching.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 07:31:22 pm by Franky no Hair » Logged

For long weekends or just days birding come with me to this wonderful part of Spain visit my web site at http://www.birdinginspain.co.uk/
Ron Hatch
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 04:36:48 pm »

Franky & Jose

Ron and Lesley will be attending this visit and look forward to a good day
Wilkinson999
ABS Member

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 11:17:25 pm »

Peter & I would like to join for this day.

Kind regards,

Helen Burgers
Lindsay Pheasant

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 11:29:50 pm »

Lindsay, Keith, Derek and Bob will be coming
Wilkinson999
ABS Member

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 09:05:13 am »

Peter & I will unfortunately not be able to join for this meeting.

Regards,

Helen Burgers
137cass298
ABS Member

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 05:33:58 pm »

colin/Sandra  1250  will be attending
Maureen Taylor
ABS Member

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 11:37:19 am »

Hi Franky and Jose

Maureen and John will be there. We are booked in (we hope) to La Caracola for 15 & 16th. Confirmation a little uncertain.

Bob and Lynn Carr
ABS Member

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 08:51:54 pm »

Looking forward to the trip.

Bob and Lynn Carr
Bob Wright
Bob Wright
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 09:47:45 pm »

Both Bob Wright and Derek Etherton will be in attendance.

jose
ABS Member

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 06:41:54 pm »

Hi all!

Are you ready for some nice and cool 40 °C  + in the Sierras de Andújar next weekend?

This is the temperature we expect that weekend. You will agree with me that it is not very pleasant to stay out with this temperature, furthermore, we are not going to see any animal from midday until the evening, when the temperature drops a little.

So, I suggest to finish our meeting at midday, around 1:00 pm or so, or make a midday break to rest and stay cool wherever possible -your hotel, apartment...- and go out again at 7:00 pm. until sunset.

Or alternatively, we could start earlier, 7:30 am and finish at midday, around 1:00 pm.

Believe me, Andújar is one of the hoter - if not the hotest - area in Spain, so in my opinion make no sense to be in the countryside between noon and 7:00 pm or so.

These are my suggestions ok?

Let me know your thoughts.

JL

Derek Etherton
ABS Member

Magazine editor

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 08:06:54 pm »

Hi Jose Luis.....warning taken heed of!  Your first suggestion of a morning - afternoon break - and then evening watch sounds like a plan. 

Better I think then an earlier start, as I believe some are travelling a distance that morning.  This way it keeps it within the advertised start time.

Look forward to seeing you Saturday

Derek
jose
ABS Member

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 08:49:19 pm »

Ok Derek,

Let's go with the start time at 8:30 am, afternoon break and evening watch.

Se you next Saturday

JL
ogaro2013

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 09:27:26 pm »

Have booked accommodation in Andujar for Friday and Saturday nights.
Hope to see you at 8.30 Saturday Morning
Regards
Olly
137cass298
ABS Member

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 12:18:57 pm »

colin/Sandra  1250  will be attendinte]sorry colin/Sandra cannot attend know, colin has chest infection and has to see the doctor better luck next time
Wilkinson999
ABS Member

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 04:57:33 pm »

Hello,

Unfortunately Peter & I will not be able to attend saturday's meeting after a major trip to the dentist today.

Have fun,

Regards,

Helen Burgers
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: field meeting for June 2017 to the sierras de Andujar. « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length