Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 05:12:06 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: ABS Field Meeting Sept 2017 first « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ABS Field Meeting Sept 2017 first  (Read 1559 times)
Franky no Hair
Frank Hair of Buitre birding Holidays
ABS Member

« on: June 19, 2017, 06:23:46 pm »

Event: ABS Field Meeting at Tarifa and La Janda

Date: Saturday, 9th Sept 2017

Meeting Point: The car park at the Lidl supermarket on the outskirts of Tarifa (36 degrees 01min 13.56sec N; 5 degrees 36min 00.06sec W

Time: 09:00

Leader for the day:  Frank Hair

Directions to the meeting point: Coming from Algeciras on the N340 take the first turning for Tarifa.  Coming from Vejer de la Frontera on the N340 take the second turning for Tarifa, which is further up the hill, from the first.  You should see the Lidl supermarket car park on the right shortly after leaving the N340.

Information about the meeting: We will assemble in the large Lidl car park at 09:00; please be on time because I want to be away from the car park promptly. Here we will pool cars to minimise the number of cars used during the Field Meeting. We do this because at some of the observatories there is limited parking and also long convoys can be dangerous.
The cars that are not used will be left in the car park and collected at the end of the day. The observatories that we use will depend on the wind direction on the day. If the wind is blowing from the west we will be heading closer to Algeciras and if the wind is from the east we will stay close to Tarifa.
As we will be observing a Spring Migration we will be using observatories close to the sea because the birds will be low when they complete their crossing of the Strait from Morocco and will most likely rest close to the coast to recover from the crossing.
At around 13:00 we will head for the hide at Playa de los Lances to observe the birds on the pool and the beach in front of the hide while we have lunch. You will need to bring a packed lunch with you.
Around 14:30 we will head for La Janda where we will spend about three hours looking for passage migrants and other birds.
These times will depend on the number of birds we are seeing.
If a large number of people show an interest in this Field Meeting we will split into two groups. One group will do what is described above and the other group will do it in reverse.

Accommodation in the area: Details about the accommodation offered by our Affiliated Members in this area can be found by using the following link http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/affiliated-services/accommodation-by-province/cadiz.html

Clothing and food: At this time of the year it will be hot so hats and sunscreen.  I will be taring a packed lunch but I will also be stopping Apollo 11 for coffee on our way to La Janda so those who want lunch can stop there..

Possible birds: Black Kites, Honey Buzzard, White Stork, Short-toed Eagle, Booted Eagle, Egyptian Vulture, Griffon Vulture and possibly Black Stork.  These are the main souring birds but we should get some other migrants.

Other sites in the area for those staying over night:
Barbate Marshes, Bolonia, Gibraltar, Los Barrios, Ojén Valley, Río Guadiaro and Río Palmones & marshes. Information about all these bird sites can be found on the Society's web site http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/bird-sites/cadiz.html

For long weekends or just days birding come with me to this wonderful part of Spain visit my web site at http://www.birdinginspain.co.uk/
Trevor Hexter
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 08:47:37 pm »

Hi Frank

Ruth and I, both plan to attend this one and we look forward to finally meeting up with you.

Regards

Trevor
jerry
ABS Member

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 07:24:21 pm »

Sorry , Jerry and Barbara won't be able to attend .
Bob Wright
Bob Wright
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:01:04 am »

All being well hoping to attend this meet.

Bob Wright

Linda
ABS Member

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 10:56:20 am »

Hello Frank, I plan to attend the Tarifa meeting and am looking forward to seeing everyone as well as enjoying the birds. Best wishes, Linda Roberts
Derek Etherton
ABS Member

Magazine editor

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 12:40:08 pm »

Barbara & I attending, staying overnight in Barbate so not too far to travel in the morning!
Pauline Horton
ABS Member

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 11:01:15 pm »

Hi Frank.
John & Pauline Horton and Graham Leach will be attending the meeting on September 9th. at Tarifa.
Looking forward to it. (We have booked for two nights). All the best, Pauline.
john brooks
ABS Member

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 05:08:11 pm »

Hi Frank

Margot and I will be joining you on 9th

John
Wilkinson999
ABS Member

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 10:18:02 pm »

Peter & I hope to attend to Tarifa meeting

Thanks Helen Burgers
Henny
ABS Member

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 02:22:50 pm »

Hello Frank,
I hope to attend the Tarifa meeting next week.
Regards Henny
NickS
ABS Member

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 05:22:42 pm »

Hi Frank,

I will be there on Saturday. Looking forward to it. It will be my first field meeting.

Best regards
Nick Stephens
Granada
Lindsay Pheasant

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 07:19:01 pm »

Hi Franky

Keith and I will be there.

Lindsay
Derek Etherton
ABS Member

Magazine editor

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 09:26:11 pm »

I should  possibly not be saying this, but for road safety sake please be aware that new, and different looking, speed cameras have been installed on the road between Algeciras  and Tarifa.  Please be aware.
Ricky Owen
ABS Member

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 09:07:47 pm »

Hi Franky

Sonia and I will see you Saturday

Rcky
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: ABS Field Meeting Sept 2017 first « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length