Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2018, 06:19:31 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: Abs field meeting for may 2018 to Extremadura « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Abs field meeting for may 2018 to Extremadura  (Read 2419 times)
Franky no Hair
Frank Hair of Buitre birding Holidays
ABS Member

« on: April 04, 2018, 10:14:00 am »

Event

Visit to DEMA, Lesser Kestrel captive breeding Centre

Date - 19th May 2018

Meeting Point - DEMA, 06200 Almendralejo, Badajoz

Time - 10.30am

Leader for the day - William Haworth

Directions to the meeting point

Turn off Autovia de la Plata E 803 at Junction KMS 654 signposted Almendralejo. At roundabout take EX-359. Follow for 3 kms to next roundabout, then take first right onto BA-070. After 400 metres turn right into road leading to DEMA.

Information about the meeting

We will spend the morning visiting the Centre. There will be an introduction to the work of the Centre and a guided visit to the breeding modules.
Afterwards we will visit a viewing platform overlooking one of the prime nesting locations of Lesser Kestrels. This was the first urban Special Protection Area for Birds in Spain.

In the afternoon after lunch we will visit the old olive groves close to Almendralejo to search for Rufous Bush Chat.

Accommodation in the area

The most interesting place nearby is Mérida, with a wide range of accommodation and fantastic Roman monuments. Almendralejo too has several hotels and pensiones.

Clothing and food – No special clothing or footwear. For lunch we will have a menú at a local restaurant.

Possible birds – The main focus is the Lesser Kestrel, and we will see a lot close up, and through the Centre’s remote-controlled video cam on the roof of the church, and flying round the town.
In the afternoon we will visit one of the best Extremadura locations for Rufous Bush Chat.

Other sites in the area for those staying over-night

On the Sunday we will visit locations in and around Mérida. Target birds include Penduline Tit, Purple Swamphen, Little Bittern, Alpine Swift, Pallid Swift, Spoonbill, Night Heron, Glossy Ibis. Then we will visit Alange to look for Bonelli’s Eagle, Black Wheatear, and Gull-billed Tern. There is a large nesting colony of Pallid Swift in the local church.

We will be looking for a member to write a trip report for this meeting.

For long weekends or just days birding come with me to this wonderful part of Spain visit my web site at http://www.birdinginspain.co.uk/
Suedevs
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 09:35:23 pm »

Hello Franky,

I’d like to attend the meetings on 19th & 20th May in Extremadura.  I’ve got the details and will meet as instructed. 

I will be accompanied both days by husband James Devereaux instead of Nico.  Hope this is OK

Sue Devereaux
Pauline Horton
ABS Member

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 10:58:27 pm »

Hi Frank,
We will be attending the meetings in Extremadura in May.
John, Pauline Horton and Graham Leach.
jerry
ABS Member

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 06:30:34 pm »

Barbara and Jerry will  not be able to attend on Saturday due to illness .
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:26:04 am by jerry » Logged
lindsayfergu
ABS Member

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 10:38:26 am »

Hi Frank,
We are attending the Extremadura event.
All the Best,
Lindsay and Liz Ferguson
Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

Cómpeta - Axarquía - Málaga

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 10:14:05 pm »

Hi Frank,

Mogens and I will be there for both days!

Regards
Petrea

Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

Cómpeta - Axarquía - Málaga

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 08:12:02 pm »

Thanks to Pepe for showing us his work. What a good idea to involve kids and youngsters so much. I looked up the rap videos:

https://vimeo.com/117365407

And the flashmob version from Cáceres:

https://vimeo.com/117371800.

I noticed that DEMA has got one good and one bad review on Google maps. May I suggest that those of us who has got a Google account add our opinions?

And thanks to William, who organized it all so well. I promised not to blame him too much for the storm on Sunday: after all he kept it away from us until about 15:30!  ;) We seemed to stay in the "eye" of it for a long time!

Saludos
Petrea

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: Abs field meeting for may 2018 to Extremadura « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length