Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 05:51:59 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Other Wildlife  |  Other Wildlife  |  Reptiles & Amphibians  |  Topic: Are these slow worms ? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are these slow worms ?  (Read 3821 times)
harryabbott

« on: April 02, 2009, 09:13:25 pm »

My garden seems to have a good poulation of small snakes and what I think are slow worms. I am finding the slow worms when I am digging. yesterday I took out a small tree which wasn't doing to well and there in the compost type material it had been originally potted up in was an animal that at first looked like a worm, even in colour, but it jumped wriggled arched its back and was generally way too lively for a worm.It also seemed to have a tiny head with minute eyes but unfortunately I didn't have my own glasses with me (as I always loose them in the garden) so I couldn't see it as well as I would have liked. It was even quite quck in its movements not slow at all. I keep finding these creatures and even had a very small one, about 1.5 inches long, with 4 very fine little legs.
Do these sound like slow worms to anybody else?

Two minutes later after the slow worm I moved a rock and there was a little snake about 4 inches long which was very fiesty, striking at anything even the stone I had just rolled away from it! Obviously it had seriously bad eyesight!!

I feel really lucky to have all these things in my rather wild garden.
clive
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:00:31 am »

Hi Harry

Probably iberian worm lizards.
http://www.wildsideholidays.com/natural/reptiles-and-amphibians/110-iberian-worm-snake-blanus-cinereus.html

harryabbott

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 01:40:55 pm »

Thanks for that Clive and yes that is exactly what it was.
 The photo in the link of the young animal is exactly what I had.
We seem to have lots of them and they vary very much in colour so I wonder am am catching two different species of animal.
As I said , in the previous post, I did have one little olive coloured critter with minute/fine legs and other larger ones that had much more distinct head and eyes with no legs (rudimentary or otherwise) and which were not that pinky/purple worm colour but more of an olive brown. Could these be slow worms do you think? Do young slow worms have rudimentary legs which are later lost?
Many thanks clive for your help.
Harry.
clive
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 09:56:41 pm »

The ones with the tiny legs will probably be skinks
http://www.wildsideholidays.com/natural/reptiles-and-amphibians/277-bedriagas-skink-chalcides-bedriagai-eslizon-iberico.html

Or...
http://www.wildsideholidays.com/natural/reptiles-and-amphibians/308-western-three-toed-skink-chalcides-striatus-eslizon-tridactilo-.html

These three species (including the worm lizard that is) are around under rocks and in the long grasses across Andalucia.

Clive
harryabbott

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 10:28:55 pm »

Thanks again for all of that info Clive and I'll at least know what to look for when I come across the next one . I probably will not be digging much until next winter/spring so they will be left in peace for a while.
Harry.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:42:11 pm by harryabbott » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Other Wildlife  |  Other Wildlife  |  Reptiles & Amphibians  |  Topic: Are these slow worms ? « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length