Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 05:40:45 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Other Wildlife  |  Other Wildlife  |  Reptiles & Amphibians  |  Topic: 2 snakes for ID « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2 snakes for ID  (Read 4798 times)
harryabbott

« on: June 30, 2009, 11:05:38 pm »

2 pics of snakes which I would be grateful to have ID'd.
The large one was on a friends terrace near Manilva and the other small one I found near the river in Benojan.
I think they might be a young viperine and a Montpellier but I am still at the stage of trying to learn how to ID accurately so I would be grateful for some expert input as to what they actually are and why.
Many thanks ,
Harry

* webbenojanmarch2008-018-snake.jpg (75.56 kB, 554x400 - viewed 887 times.)

* snake 2.jpg (61.21 kB, 686x600 - viewed 870 times.)
Brenda
Supporting ABS
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 10:49:50 am »

The first photograph is Montpellier. The second I tend to agree looks like it could be Viperine, with those flank markings it will certainly be a Water (grass snake) Snake. See if others agree on photograph 2.

Brenda

harryabbott

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:54:03 pm »

Hi Brenda,
The small one in the upper picture is only about 9 inches long and I think is a viperine because of his high set eyes ,markings and habitat (beside a river)
The big snake on the terrace , I don't know, I thought Montpellier because it is obviously long maybe 4 feet plus and very dark in colour.
Harry.
JuanO

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 10:01:45 pm »

I think first photo is also montpellier as it also might be whip snake but can not see any marking at back of head so think montpellier. Other one is viperine yes.

Juan
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 03:48:24 pm »

Hi Harry,

Little I can add except to say I am not going to argue with the 'reptile' man Juan!

Peter

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
harryabbott

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 06:09:41 pm »

Hi guys,
I am getting thoroughly mixed up now as we all seem to be using different means of describing the order in which I placed the  photographs.   It was obviously a mistake to place the 2 photos on the same enquiry, it makes life much more difficult, sorry about that.
To be clear can we confirm that 1) the large dark snake on the table of a terrace is the one that is thought to be a Montpellier,
and
2) that the snake on the roadway is the viperine snake
Harry.

Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 06:27:44 pm »

Hi guys,
I am getting thoroughly mixed up now as we all seem to be using different means of describing the order in which I placed the  photographs.   It was obviously a mistake to place the 2 photos on the same enquiry, it makes life much more difficult, sorry about that.
To be clear can we confirm that 1) the large dark snake on the table of a terrace is the one that is thought to be a Montpellier,
and
2) that the snake on the roadway is the viperine snake
Harry.

Hi Harry,

Spoken to Juan and yes we are talking about the same sequence as you describe i.e. photo 1 Viperine and photo 2 Montpelliers. Not going to say anything about the man's english (or Brenda's post), especially as my spanish is worse!!

Peter
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 06:29:36 pm by Peter » Logged

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
harryabbott

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 11:23:38 pm »

Thanks for that Peter, problem solved.
Harry.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Other Wildlife  |  Other Wildlife  |  Reptiles & Amphibians  |  Topic: 2 snakes for ID « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length