Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2018, 08:06:34 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: Field Meeting for November 2012 « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Field Meeting for November 2012  (Read 13511 times)
David
David

« on: October 21, 2012, 12:17:02 pm »

Event: Members Field Meeting

Date: 10th November 2012, Saturday.

Meeting Point: Car Park at the entrance to the Sierra de las Nieves Natural Park (Grid Ref. 36� 39' 40.85" N / 5� 5' 48.76" W)

Time: 9.30 am prompt please.

Leader for the day: Mick Smith

Directions to the Meeting Point: The entrance to the Sierra de las Nieves Natural Park is located between km13 and km14 signs on the A497 road that runs between San Pedro and Ronda.  If you are travelling from San Pedro it is a right-hand turning and from Ronda a left-hand turning.  The grid ref. for the turning is 36� 39' 38.69" N / 5� 5' 57.54" W.  The entrance is clearly signposted from both directions.

The road into the Natural Park is a tarmac road and the car park is about 200 metres from the entrance on your left.

Clothing and Food:  This is a very remote region. The car park is situated at about 1,000 metres above sea level and during the field meeting we will climb at least another 300 metres.  The weather is unpredictable in the Sierra de las Nieves Natural Park at this time of the year so it is necessary that you wear clothing that can cope with warm, cold and wet i.e layers of clothing including an outer layer of waterproof clothing if necessary.  Walking shoes/boots are also necessary.

Due to it being a remote region you will need to bring your own lunch as there are no Ventas where a lunch could be purchased.

Information about the Field Meeting:  We will spend about 40 to 60 minutes at the car park walking through the adjacent country searching for birds.

We will then use as few cars as possible for the remainder of the meeting, selecting those cars that can cope best with the conditions in the reserve.  The tracks in the main are perfectly alright for any car, however, the track conditions in a couple of places we will pass through are best traveresed with a vehicle with a high wheel height - 4x4 is not necessary.  The unsuitable cars will be left at the car park until we return.

We will take the track into the reserve, following a river valley slowly for about 6 kilometres, stopping frequently to search for resident and wintering birds.  Initially we will pass through an oak wood, then a rocky gorge with steep sides and finally an open plateau and fir trees.  We will spend about two hours on this part of the meeting.

We will then drive about 10 kilometres to a place called Los Quejigales where we will park the cars and have lunch.

After lunch we will go for a slow walk, which will last about 2 hours. The walk is relatively flat and along a wide track.  The scenery is beautiful and the prospect for seeing birds and wild animals such as boar and deer is good.

We should be back at the entrance car park for around 4pm.

Birds that we could see are Griffon Vulture, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Common Kestrel, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Eurasian Jay, Chough, Raven, Coal Tit, Crested Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Common Chiffchaff, Dartford Warbler, Sardinian Warbler, Firecrest, Nuthatch, Short-toed Treecreeper, Blackbird, Ring Ouzel, Mistle Thrush, Fieldfare, Robin, Black Redstart, Stonechat, Black Wheatear, Blue Rock Thrush, House Sparrow, Rock Sparrow, Alpine Accentor, Chaffinch, Linnet, Crossbill, Hawfinch, Corn Bunting, Rock Bunting, Cirl Bunting.

David
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:59:18 am by David » Logged

David
Maureen Taylor
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:45:39 am »

Hi David

John and myself plan to come along to this meeting.

We look forward to another good day

Maureen
Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

Cómpeta - Axarquía - Málaga

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 03:03:04 pm »

- and Mogens and I expect to be there!

saludos
Petrea
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:04:45 pm by Petrea » Logged

Bob Wright
Bob Wright
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 12:00:32 pm »

Just read the instructions and now going to look it up on google earth.  Expect to be with you on time if I leave here by 7.30 at latest - thank goodness the clocks will have gone back!  However, I am out with Jenny at a dinner dance that evening so will have to make sure that I depart prompty at about 4pm.  So pleased that you are going to lay on Cirl Bunting, Ring Ousel and Alpine Accentor!!

Best wishes

Bob

Claus Quist

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 09:06:02 pm »

Hi.
 My name is Claus and I come from Denmark. I am a new member of the Society and would so much like to go for bird trips. Unfortunately I have no car and am dependent on somebody to pick me up. I would really like to go for the trip to Sierra de Las Nieves. Is anybody passing through the vicinity of Torremolinos/Fuengirola on their way to this excursion? I would be really grateful if anybody could give me a lift and I will of course pay for the petrol. Phone: 004529823994/e-mail: aniclaus51@hotmail.com. I m staying in Torremolinos.
Best wishes Claus Quist
Brenda
Supporting ABS
ABS Member

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 06:13:40 pm »

Claus,

Micky Smith who is leading the day comes from the Fuengirola area. We don't have his telephone number I'm afraid. Perhaps someone can give Micky a nudge?...

Brenda

Janet
ABS Member

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 07:54:16 pm »

Hola
Am' flying' out especially for this trip; see you all soon.
Janet
Bob Wright
Bob Wright
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 08:40:31 pm »

I know that you're very special Janet but you might find it a tad easier just to catch the plane like the rest of we mere mortals!  Looking forward to seeing you.

Bob

David
David

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 12:37:27 pm »

I am sorry, but if the weather does not improve dramatically we will have to cancel this trip.

The weather forecast for the Sierra de las Nievas area does not look promising, but I will monitor it closely over the next few days and will make a decision on Friday afternoon, which I will post here.

If you wish to contact me my mobile number is 627 057 219.

Kind regards
David

David
Brenda
Supporting ABS
ABS Member

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 06:44:28 pm »

The forecast I look at el.tiempo.es is now saying cloud and light rain after lunch for Saturday. According to my Spanish neighbours it's getting better...

When we went to Sierra Loja with Mick, April 2011 we had rain all day but saw great birds. Anyone remember?

Fingers crossed it'll be okay.

Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

Cómpeta - Axarquía - Málaga

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 08:51:46 pm »

Right, Brenda!     :)

As we say in Denmark: there is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing! (Sorry, I can't get it to rhyme as in Danish! Anyway, to be honest: I don't buy that 100 %).

Mogens and I will probably go in any case. (And it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that our hotel has got a 7 days cancellation deadline, oh no!   ;))

Saludos
Petrea

Kevin Wade
ABS Member

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 11:11:20 pm »

Heavy rain just falling now in MARBELLA (11:00pm) Thursday, but Winguru says quite clear on Saturday on the coast and not too much cloud lining up on the satellite picures to follow,  fingers crossed!!

Kevin
David
David

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 11:43:12 am »

Although the weather forecast tomorrow is looking better I have decided to postpone the trip tomorrow.

My concern is that there has been so much water that the tracks up there may be in a very poor condition.  When we did a recce in October there was evidence of previous rain badly damaging the track.  With the amount of rain we have had during the last week the track could be completely destroyed in places.

The plan is to do another recce, probably next week, to decide whether we can have the trip on 24th November.

Regards
David

David
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 01:34:50 pm »

Although the weather forecast tomorrow is looking better I have decided to postpone the trip tomorrow.
My concern is that there has been so much water that the tracks up there may be in a very poor condition.  When we did a recce in October there was evidence of previous rain badly damaging the track.  With the amount of rain we have had during the last week the track could be completely destroyed in places.
The plan is to do another recce, probably next week, to decide whether we can have the trip on 24th November.
Regards
David

All well and good David, but there are members who have gone to expense and trouble to be in the area for this meeting. I understand completely the logic, but couldn't we arrange another local site where conditions would be more favourable? Happy to help if necessary!

Peter

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
David
David

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 03:40:05 pm »

David
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: Field Meeting for November 2012 « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length