Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 23, 2019, 06:22:10 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Andalucia Bird Society  |  Topic: Bee-eaters « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bee-eaters  (Read 7891 times)
Chas

« on: March 22, 2013, 11:29:53 pm »

I have a non-birding  friend with a house in Castillejar.  I am planning to come to stay with him for a week in the middle of April.  I know this is a long shot (or perhaps not), but I am specifically coming to try to find a Bee-eater colony with the hope of  getting some good photographs of a species that has eluded me over the years.  Does anyone know of any locations in that area that they could help me with.  I do appreciate that I may be stepping on other peoples toes and I would fully understand if you would rather keep locations and info to yourself.  Incidentally I am an experienced photographer, I am licensed to photograph Kingfisher, Peregrine and Barn Owl in the UK so I do understand the need for lack of disturbance and all that goes with that.  I do thank you in advance.
Chas.
Brenda
Supporting ABS
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 10:14:27 am »

Dear Chas,

I am told that you will be very lucky to find a colony of Bee-eaters then as they are only just arriving here, with very few sightings at the moment. I will get one of the experienced birders to reply to you. Is Castillejar in East Andalucia?

Brenda

Brenda
Supporting ABS
ABS Member

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:20:22 am »

Dear Chas,

If you go into the ABS website, go to links, the guides, and there are three guides in East Andalucia:
Mick Richardson
Jose Luis Sanchez
Vincente Malagon

They all speak excellent English, (including Mick Richardson!) and I suggest you contact them directly to see if they can help. Their web addresses are on their biographies.

Brenda

Chas

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 08:03:26 pm »

Thanks Brenda, I really appreciate your help, kind regards Chas
Chas

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 08:06:02 pm »

...... it s my understanding that by the middle of April colonies will be starting to be established, but if that's incorrect then perhaps a week or so later, again any help please.
Thanks again.
David
David

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 10:48:25 pm »

Hi Chas,

We are waiting for Bee Eaters to arrive and are expecting them any day.  So by the middle of April there should be plenty around for you to see.

David

David
Miranda

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 12:38:19 pm »

Hi! I live just outside Castillejar - and once the bee-eaters have returned they are abundant!
The last couple of years a bunch of them would gather just before dusk in the vicinity of my cave house, so I suppose they are roosting somewhere near by - the valley has lots of small cliffs. I've also seen them in the Castril Valley, below Almontaras. From time to time they feed en masse on the pine processionary caterpillars in the pine trees, which is quite a sight. Let me know if you want more info - I probably know your friend as it's a small place!
Kevin Wade
ABS Member

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 03:12:04 pm »

They have returned to their colony near Estepona, Málaga! This was taken this afternoon.

* bee-e20a.jpg (56.59 kB, 800x533 - viewed 441 times.)

Kevin
Miranda

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 05:13:32 am »

Chas, the bee-eaters have just returned to Castillejar - saw them this evening.
mike in Jerez
ABS Member

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 01:51:17 pm »

Lots of them flying over Jerez this week.
Miranda

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 02:59:53 pm »

Did you manage to find and photograph the bee-eaters, Chas?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Andalucia Bird Society  |  Topic: Bee-eaters « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length