Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 23, 2019, 12:03:35 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Birds and Birding  |  Topic: White-rumped Swift status in Granada Province? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: White-rumped Swift status in Granada Province?  (Read 8525 times)
Sean Mac

« on: August 10, 2013, 10:48:50 pm »

Hi all,

I'm a Norfolk (UK, not Virginia) birder. I spend a couple of weeks with relatives in Andalucia in August (every year since 2007).

I wondered if anyone had any info on the status of White-rumped Swift in Granada province? (or wider Andalucia)

I've seen one here (between Otivar and Itrabo, about half an hour up from Almunecar) on three of the last four days now, only for a matter of seconds on the first two occasions, but this evening for about 10 minutes between 20:40 and 20:50, to within 10 metres at times. The second day it came past at not much more than arm's length; absolutely brilliant. Prior to that I hadn't had one since two sightings over three days in August 2009. I did submit a detailed record to the SEO on that occasion (in the best Spanish I could muster) but didn't receive a reply so won't bother doing so again.

My understanding was that these birds were incredibly rare, and occurred further West than Granada province. But now I'm starting to feel that due to lack of birders on the ground (a refreshing change from Norfolk), they may well just be significantly under-recorded.

Any info gratefully received.

cheers

Sean
Luis Alberto Birdaytrip
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:07:03 am »

Hi Sean.

For those birdwatchers placed in Málaga, as it is my case, the Maro cliffs are the closest place for White-rumped Swifts. So they don't extend much further to the West. Next colony is located at the upper Guadiaro valley, but our friends in Ronda can give you some more details about it.

Have a nice time in Granada!!

Luis Alberto

Mick
ABS Member

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 08:06:59 pm »

Hi Sean.

Sorry for the delay in getting on to this but for some reason I could not see this post when Brenda asked me to look at it. The only extra info I can give you is that there is a single pair in the Cerro Gordo area but they are difficult to find.

Mick.

Mick Richardson, Birds, Butterflies, Dragonflies, Orchids and Wildflowers in Granada Province and beyond!

www.granadawildlife.com    THE WORK SITE.
www.lojawildlife.com        THE BLOG.
mickbirdinginspain@gmail.com      THE EMAIL.
Sean Mac

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 12:34:33 pm »

...and another WRS here this morning, right over my Mum's garden, but viewable from the public road between Jete and Itrabo from between the 2km and 3km markers. Bird appeared just after 09:00 and was on show at times down to several metres, but got more erratic until disappearing about 10:00. This follows a pattern noticed over about a decade of coming here (in August) of the birds appearing around 9 in the morning and again around 9 in the evening, which makes me think they are intra-day altitudinal migrants. I've no idea how long swifts live but it's only ever one bird so I do wonder if this last year's bird returning to the same area again.

Just thought I'd post this up in case any birders in Granada province are interested.

cheers

Sean

[Update – and again here this morning (6th Aug) pretty much on cue at 8:50 and then on and off (mostly on) until 9:35. Also very briefly at 21:10 the previous evening for a matter of seconds only, so the 09:00 and 21:00 pattern holding pretty firm.]

[Update - little blighter clearly deliberately snubbed me on my birthday but was 'back' (probably never been away) for a matter of seconds on evening of 12th, and around between 18:00-20:00 yesterday (13th).]

[Update - thought it had gone but still here on 22nd between 20:30-21:00 and again this morning (26th) around 09:00, picked up on flight action alone despite it being overhead (so rump obscured). The wings can look quite silvery compared to the body, in good light, and the wingbeats can be manic even by swift standards, in fact when it really turns on the gas over a short burst the 'beats' look very shallow, so much so that I would describe it as more of a wing 'wobble' than a wing 'beat'. Scuse me if this is boring everyone but I've not seen one over such a sustained period before and it's good to make a few field notes for future reference. cheers.]
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:00:48 pm by Sean Mac » Logged
Sean Mac

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 10:21:06 pm »

...and back. Seen yesterday and again today, between 8 and 9 in the morning, but very brief sightings compared to previous years. That's 3 years on the trot now; surely the same returning bird.

My Mum's selling up and moving into town so if anyone wants to buy a place that comes with a 'resident' Caffer, get your wallet out. I'll be gutted not to be able to come here and see this little blighter any more. Almost makes my summer when I pick it up flying over the ridge.

Lovely start to my stay last Sunday evening in the shape of a Red-necked Nightjar flying around on the edge of Molvizar as we came off the motorway from Malaga. I'd failed to see it in Morocco several years ago so it was a worldie for me.
Steve25
ABS Member

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 02:02:36 am »

Hallo Sean. Given the location of your sightings it is likely that the W R Swift you see every year is one of those that nests at Cerro Gordo, on the coast just west of Almunecar. You might be interested in this report (with map).
http://www.surfbirds.com/mb/trips/white-rumped-swift-in-spain.pdf
Interesting to note that they hijack the nests of other hirundines, most often Red-rumped Swallow, which favours buildings and builds nests like this.

* 146a Red-rumped Swallo & nest small.jpg (181.36 kB, 480x320 - viewed 456 times.)
Sean Mac

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 01:17:13 pm »

thanks, Steve

WRS here again this morning, on show almost continuously from 8:20 to 8:50, down to 20 metres or so at times. Little belter.

Cheers for the Cerro Gordo info (ties with Mick Richardson's advice on a previous occasion). I have actually walked up there, years ago, as my mum lived in La Herradura when she first moved to the area. I had no idea WRS nested there. I did see what was almost certainly an Eleonora's up there, ID'd on structure, really long-winged rangy thing, over the hillside above the entrance to the tunnel, but it was only on show for about a minute maybe and disappeared over the top towards Malaga never to be seen again. That was in the late summer / early autumn. I'd spend time up there in September if I could get out here that time of year but job doesn't allow it unfortunately.
Sean Mac

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 02:52:37 pm »

Back here for a stay from the 10th August. After years of wondering if I was only ever going to see a lone bird, after seeing a single on my birthday (11th) I was made up to see two Caffer together here on the 12th. Conditions were good for keeping the swifts here all day, with low cloud cover on the ridge, so I saw them at 10 in the morning, later about 2ish and then for substantial periods from around 4ish through to close of play. Despite the proximity to Cerro Gordo, only perhaps 20 minutes by car and way less as the swift flies, I can't help feeling they are breeding much closer to 'home' (here) than that, but that's conjecture and I'll never know.

Last year for seeing these birds from the garden, indeed often from the pool, as my mum's moving down into Almunecar itself, so I might have to check out Cerro Gordo in future years. Won't be the same as seeing "my own birds" here of course, but nothing stays the same for ever...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Birds and Birding  |  Topic: White-rumped Swift status in Granada Province? « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length