Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 10:11:35 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Tips For New & 'Old' Birders  |  Topic: When to rotavate land to minimize damage to wildlife « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When to rotavate land to minimize damage to wildlife  (Read 2441 times)
annafarrimond
ABS Member

« on: April 20, 2014, 09:43:03 am »

I live in Alhaurin el Grande campo where we have a largeish patch of land.   We no longer farm this land and have let the remaining pear and mandarin trees go the way of all flesh.  Since we stopped spraying (and irrigating) we have noticed an increase in birds and other wildlife. Now I am nervous to rotavate this land again to keep it in some form of orderliness and to reduce the risk of fire, for fear of destroying habitat.  Ground is now dry rough and grassy.  The local shepherd brings sheep onto the land regularly which keeps it cropped (approx. once every eight weeks) Ideally I'd like to remove the now skeleton trees and replace with trees that will attract lots of lovely birds. Would any members have advice on best time of year to rotavate (if at all) and which bird friendly trees to plant?
Birds I've identified so far are crested larks, sardinian warblers, bee eaters, a common buzzard or a booted eagle (not sure which but he's always on his own!), little owl, red rumped swallows
Thanks in advance!
Brenda
Supporting ABS
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 04:55:44 pm »

DEAR ANNA,

THERE ARE LOTS OF TREES AND SHRUBS YOU CAN PLANT TO ATTRACT BIRDS. THE PISTACIA AND TURPENTINE SHRUBS ARE LOVED BY THE BIRDS, ALSO KAKIS. HAVE A LOOK IN YOUR AREA TO SEE WHAT GROWS WELL.
BUDDLEJAS DO  WELL HERE AND ARE LOVED BY BUTTERFLIES, ALSO CISTUS, THE ROCKROSES.
WHEN I GET HOME I WILL ANSWER IN MORE DEPTH AS I WILL HAVE ACCESS TO MY BOOKS AND BLOG.

OF COURSE THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO TO ATTRACT BIRDS AND WILDLIFE IS A SMALL, SHSLLOW POND. IT COULD BE A PLANT POT HOLDER OR YOU COULD MAKE ONE OUT OF CONCRETE. ONCE YOU MAKE IT YOU HAVE TO KEEP IT FULL OF WATER ALL YEAR. ADD A COUPLE OF STONES TO LET THE SMALLER BIRDS STAND ABOVE THE WATER.

AS FOR ROTOVATING, I WOULD DO IT IN JUNE WHEN ALL THE WILDFLOWERS ARE FINISHED.

BEST WISHES,
BRENDA

annafarrimond
ABS Member

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 10:47:08 am »

Many thanks Brenda! That´s really helpful.  Hopefully before long, we will have lots of extra birds (and butterlies) visiting us.  I will let you know how we get on.
Best wishes
Anna
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Tips For New & 'Old' Birders  |  Topic: When to rotavate land to minimize damage to wildlife « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length