Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2018, 10:07:39 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Bird Identification Q&A  |  Topic: Black kite? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black kite?  (Read 6181 times)
Carlos
ABS Member

« on: August 17, 2014, 12:55:22 pm »

Hello everyone.
I have this type of eagle flying everyday over my house. I have no knowledge of eagle identification and would like to start with this one. Could it possibly be a black/red kite?
Thanks,
Carlos.

* DSC_0039.JPG (248.63 kB, 1504x1000 - viewed 404 times.)
Carlos
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 01:04:38 pm »

I also have this photo in which, presumably a black kite has an individual of another species as a fllight partner. Could that one be an osprey or perhaps a booted eagle?

Sorry, I forgot to say I live in Coria del Río, so close to Guadalquivir and not far from Doñana.
Thanks in advace,
Carlos.

* eagles.JPG (81.6 kB, 1080x1032 - viewed 395 times.)
paulgaucin

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 04:04:14 pm »

Hi Carlos
They all look like Booted Eagles. The first photo looks like a dark morph and the second photo looks like a dark morph accompanied by a pale morph.
I hope this helps.
Paul
Carlos
ABS Member

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 12:14:23 am »

Thank you Paul. I really appreciate that piece of information as I didn't know there were dark and pale morphs. But I have just read here - http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Booted_Eagle - that the pale morphs predominate over the dark ones. Nevertheless, I have only seen that pale eagle twice, but I see quite a lot of the dark kinds. Could it be possible that the pale morph does not predominate around this part of Andalucia?

Or I'm thinking now that perhaps sometimes they are black kites and it might be a coincidence that the pics I took were precisely of the boated eagle. I will have my camera prepared to take more pics.

Thank you very much!
   Carlos.
paulgaucin

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 02:00:16 pm »

Hi Carlos
Yes, the pale morph Booted Eagle is considered more common but certainly this summer there seem to have been quite a few dark morphs around. If you have seen many birds together they are more likely to be Black Kites so maybe, as you say, it was just coincidence that the photos you took were of Booted Eagles.
best wishes, Paul
Carlos
ABS Member

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 08:39:17 pm »

Thank you again, Paul.
Actually, I have never seen them in groups, flying usually alone, sometimes in twos, three maximum, and they do quite high. Hope to show new photos soon.
Carlos.
Carlos
ABS Member

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 01:02:24 pm »

Hello. I think I have now a better pic of the eagle. It is still an unknown species for me, although I don't think it could be a black kite because of the shape of the tail. Could it finally be a booted eagle as it was previously suggested in the forum? Thanks for you help.
   Carlos.

* aguila(1).JPG (106.72 kB, 1212x1208 - viewed 355 times.)

* aguila(2).JPG (76.25 kB, 1000x1040 - viewed 356 times.)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:14:27 pm by Carlos » Logged
Kevin Wade
ABS Member

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 09:10:40 pm »

Hi Carlos
Both of these are of a Black Kite.  Their tail can look completely unforked when fully spread.  Booted Eagles usually have a pale panel (a square window) on their inner primaries and will usually show white landing lights (white patches) where the front of the wing meets the body - this would be visible head on, if a Booted Eagle.  Also the upper wing will be far more patterned on a Booted Eagle, with a pale brown patch and white-ish wing coverts.  Here's a picture of a Black Kite.  They are well into their southerly migration has now and I saw many in your area last week on a trip to Huelva, usually in singles.  Booted Eagles will also be passing on through too!

* blki9.jpg (59.46 kB, 1200x800 - viewed 348 times.)

Kevin
Carlos
ABS Member

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 12:26:24 pm »

Thank you Kevin. I found those tips really helpful and I'm learning to look at those little details. I hope to see both species in the Tarifa's field meeting.
Best wishes,
Carlos.

paulgaucin

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 12:48:53 pm »

As Kevin says, the two new photos are Black Kite. The dark bird in your original photos could be a Black Kite but I still think it's a Booted Eagle (the transparent wing panels are just visible?).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:55:07 pm by paulgaucin » Logged
Carlos
ABS Member

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 01:25:25 pm »

Thank you Paul for trying to make things clear to me. I was also questioning myself about the first photos I posted but it is impossible for my eyes to tell. Nevertheless, If the pale morph is a booted eagle, it makes sense that the dark one flying with it belongs to the same species.
Another day I took some pics of a group of three eagles. I remember black kites are more prone to flying in groups than the booted eagle. In that case, these ones should be black kites?
P.S. I apologize for not having better photos but I'm afraid that's all I can do with my average reflex and a 70-300mm lens.

* Tres_aguilas(1).JPG (110.55 kB, 1208x1248 - viewed 346 times.)

* Tres_aguilas(2).JPG (66.48 kB, 1422x705 - viewed 335 times.)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:17:45 pm by Carlos » Logged
paulgaucin

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 06:48:15 pm »

Both birds are very 'scruffy', presumably moulting, but I would say they are Black Kites.......mainly based on wing shape (wider at the body than Booted Eagle) and colour and their light coloured heads.
Paul
Carlos
ABS Member

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 08:12:44 pm »

Thank you, Paul and Kevin for sharing your experince. And especially thanks for letting me know what I considered as one type of eagle are actually two species. I had no idea there was such a biodiversity outside my window.
Nice birding!
Carlos.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Bird Identification Q&A  |  Topic: Black kite? « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length