Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2017, 06:15:03 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Migration  |  Topic: Storks on migration « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Storks on migration  (Read 1954 times)
Carlos
ABS Member

« on: August 29, 2014, 04:14:21 pm »

Two weeks ago, August 14th, a big flock of white storks flew over my house in Coria del Río. I know there are hundreds of individuals at Dehesa de Abajo, just 20 minutes from my village. There it is easy to see their nests and chicks. I post a photo in the forum because I have only seen this big flock once and I'm wondering if they could be starting their migration. But it occured in the afternoon; they where flying in circles, gaining height and moving slowly towards the north instead of heading to the south! Could it then just be a foraging flight? Thanks in advance,
Carlos.

* DSC_0056.JPG (258.89 kB, 1504x1000 - viewed 276 times.)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 02:36:36 pm by Carlos » Logged
Steve25
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:54:40 pm »

Hallo Carlos. White storks depend upon thermals, rising columns of warm air, to gain height for long distance flight on migration. When a strong thermal is located all the storks in the area will use it even if it looks to be taking them in the wrong direction, because altitude is more important.
Carlos
ABS Member

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 02:34:28 pm »

Thank you Steve for you reply. In that case they might have been starting their migration the day I took that photo. I should go and check their population at Dehesa de Abajo, although I have just read that a few of them stay in Spain all the year around.
   Regards,
   Carlos.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:19:17 pm by Carlos » Logged
Kevin Wade
ABS Member

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 05:07:21 pm »

Hi Carlos
Yes, you will find many White Storks in the Doñana are during the winter, and in La Janda too.  White Storks do start to migrate north from Africa in December, so they are present here all months of the year!

Kevin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Migration  |  Topic: Storks on migration « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length