Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2018, 02:14:56 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Bird Identification Q&A  |  Topic: Bird identification by one feather. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bird identification by one feather.  (Read 4386 times)
Carlos
ABS Member

« on: September 02, 2014, 02:08:55 am »

Hello,

I feel curious about this big feather I collected a month ago in 'Parque Natural Fragas Do Eume', in the north of Galicia. Is it possible to identify the bird with accuracy? The area where I found it consisted of a thick forest, quite hilly, with strong slopes, with Río Eume downhill.

If it is not possible to identify the species, is there at least a trait to know if it belongs to a raptor or an owl?

Apart from that, do you think I do right by keeping that feather or is it illegal? (I have just read about U.S. Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 and don't know if there is something similar in Spain, I wish so!).

Thanks in advace,
 Carlos.

* 1.dorsal_side.jpg (259.26 kB, 640x480 - viewed 414 times.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:25:21 am by Carlos » Logged
Carlos
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 02:11:42 am »

The ventral side....

* 2. ventral_side.jpg (217.97 kB, 640x480 - viewed 428 times.)
Carlos
ABS Member

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 02:13:00 am »

Another pic of that area...

* 3. habitat.jpg (247.43 kB, 480x640 - viewed 391 times.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:06:15 am by Carlos » Logged
Sean Mac

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:14:13 pm »

Hi Carlos,

I'd guess it's from a Honey Buzzard, Pernis Apivorus – sorry but I don't know the Spanish name.

cheers

Sean
Carlos
ABS Member

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 01:34:13 am »

Thanks a lot for you reply, Sean. I totally agree with your guess. I hadn't taken that species into consideration, just had doubts with Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo) and Eagle Owl (Bubo bubo) but after comparing the feathers it is clear that it once belonged to a Honey Buzzard's wing - "Halcón abejero" in Spanish (abeja = bee).
   If it might be of interest, here are some links where I had a look at the feathers:

Common buzzard (Buteo Buteo) = http://www.ornithos.de/Ornithos/Feather_Collection/Buteo_buteo/Buteo_buteo.htm

Eagle owl (Bubo Bubo) = http://feathersinblack.com/var/albums/Uilen-313890255/Oehoe/001%20Eagle%20Owl%20Oehoe%20Bubo%20bubo%20ad%20Primaries%20Grote%20slagpennen%20Image%20by%20A%20v%20Assen.png?m=1358953406

Honey Buzzard (Pernis apivoros) = http://www.michelklemann.nl/verensite/pernis_apivorus/peapa19.jpg

I am so happy about this bird identification, as I've read they can't be found in Andalusia, only occur in Northern Spain (I collected the feather in Galicia) - apart from during migration when they travel south in order to cross the Strait of Gibraltar, heading for Africa.

Thanks again,
   Carlos.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 01:40:48 am by Carlos » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Bird Identification Q&A  |  Topic: Bird identification by one feather. « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length