Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2017, 10:44:31 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Migration  |  Topic: 2015 Spring Migration « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2015 Spring Migration  (Read 13861 times)
paulgaucin
ABS Member

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 09:52:24 pm »

Can't match the 50 Short-toed Eagle (what a sight that must have been), but over Gaucin today:
1300-1330hrs: 10 Black Kite, 2 Short-toed Eagle, 8 Black Stork;
1415-1445hrs: 33 Black Kite, 10 Short-toed Eagle, 13 Black Stork.
Linda
ABS Member

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 01:24:14 pm »

300 plus black kites at La Puebla dump, km 58 of A92 Sevilla - Granada/Malaga motorway.

I have passed by most days between 19 Feb (100 plus) and 4 March and always hundreds and numbers increasing. On 24 Feb I counted 56 in trees on opposite side of motorway from dump and 40 on ground and black kites in every direction in sky, I.e. At least 200 total, without looking at dump.  On 1 March we counted 140 on dump, 50 in field opposite and hundred plus in sky (300). 4 March I just passed by without stopping, trying not to be distracted by the dozens low over the road, but there must have been 200 plus standing in the field and 200 in the sky, without looking into the dump.

(It needs more than one or two people to do an accurate count as they are swirling overhead all the time.)
Linda
Jealous of your 50 short-toed Eagles, though!!!!!

paulgaucin
ABS Member

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 11:04:32 pm »

Little-ringed Plover back on the Rio Genal below Gaucin this morning.

* 2015-03-04 11.38.40.jpg (266.95 kB, 910x768 - viewed 203 times.)
Linda
ABS Member

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 05:18:18 pm »

800 Black Kites (at least) at La Puebla rubbish tip Sunday, 8 March. I am used to 100s but today was mesmerising. At one time 3 kettles going up to the clouds of 100 plus birds each, 2 kettles of 50 plus, 200 easily on the dump (one small area black with about 50) and Black Kites in every part of the sky for 360 degrees and more on the ground in the field the other side. The double doors to a warehouse had been left open and we saw a few of a swarm going in and then suddenly about 50 emerged from inside the warehouse. Almost scary! Not a single gull today (whereas there were 100s until a week ago), 200 plus cattle egret in the field opposite and a few braving the dump. Some white storks. Linda
paulgaucin
ABS Member

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 07:46:23 pm »

Impressive numbers of Black Kite, Linda! Raptor migration over Gaucin has ground to a halt with the change to easterly winds. This morning I heard the first Iberian Chiffchaff of the year, with at least two birds singing in the cork woods.
paulgaucin
ABS Member

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 08:20:25 pm »

The first Common Swift of the year arrived in Gaucin today.
paulgaucin
ABS Member

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 08:35:09 am »

Finally, a Booted Eagle in Gaucin.....at mid-day one, dark/intermediate morph, very high up in a kettle with Griffon Vultures and, later on, an intermediate morph low over the village.
Ricky Owen
ABS Member

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 05:33:31 pm »

Well we have got big numbers of black kites passing by my place today near Gibraltar , with a few short toed and booted eagles mixed in

Ricky
paulgaucin
ABS Member

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 06:21:18 pm »

Ricky - yes, the change in wind direction seems to have opened the floodgates. I was down at San Pablo de Buceite in Cadiz province around 11am today and there were hundreds of Black Kite moving through, also 10s of Booted Eagle and a fair few Short-toed Eagle but best of all 2 adult Egyptian Vulture. The distant horizon over the Parque Natural Los Alcornocales looked like a mass of flies as the species mixed together above the ridges; frustratingly just too far to ID anything but Griffon Vulture, of which there were many!
Ricky Owen
ABS Member

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 09:04:38 pm »

Paul
same again today large numbers of black kites , i'm off for a walk in the hills tomorrow by algorrobo . Hoping for some good sightings .
 :D
paulgaucin
ABS Member

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 09:24:32 pm »

Plenty of Booted Eagle and Black Kite passing just west of Gaucin between 11am and 12noon today. Good luck tomorrow, Ricky; most forecasts suggest a light southerly so you may be in for a treat!
Kevin Wade
ABS Member

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 07:18:20 pm »

Thanks to Paul and Ricky for keeping this thread alive with their migration sightings!!  Very informative. Thank you!! Anyone seen Pallid Swift yet??  Wonder what the rain will bring over the next week?

Kevin
Linda
ABS Member

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 08:21:34 am »

Just seconding Kevin's thanks to Paul and Ricky for posting their sightings It would be great if more members posted their sightings. We were in Gaucin / Algotocin over weekend and saw Black Vulture between Casares and Gaucin on 13 March.
paulgaucin
ABS Member

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 10:21:42 am »

Yes, more contributors needed, there must be more of us glued to the skies. It's great reading what other people have seen - except when it's a Black Vulture on my patch and I missed it!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:27:46 am by paulgaucin » Logged
paulgaucin
ABS Member

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 10:35:18 am »

Yesterday, Monday 16 March, there was a load of stuff moving through over Gaucin during the morning, taking advantage of the calm west-south west winds. Highlights included singles of Marsh, Hen and Montagu's Harrier, 3 adult Egyptian Vulture, 2 Black Stork and several hundred Black Kite; Booted Eagle and Short-toed Eagle were also involved. Unfortunately real life got in the way and I had to tear myself away from the action at mid-day! Back to easterlies today so will no doubt be quiet again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Migration  |  Topic: 2015 Spring Migration « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length