Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 23, 2019, 02:05:37 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: Field meeting for Aug « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Field meeting for Aug  (Read 9162 times)
Franky no Hair
Frank Hair of Buitre birding Holidays
ABS Member

« on: July 27, 2015, 02:56:41 pm »

This is going to be a hot meeting so bring lots of water and a hat,  there is a charge for this meeting of 20 Euro per person, to cover the fuel and to help with this conservation project.
Event August Field meeting at La Covacha island Cadiz bay.
Date 29.Aug 2015
Meeting Point: meet at Puerto Real Hospital Parking more info to follow. https://www.google.es/maps/search/Puerto+Real+Hospital+/@36.5201803,-6.1590411,1789m/data=!3m1!1e3
This link shows you the car park where we will be meeting for the morning.
Time: La Esperanza saltpans + La Covacha Island: From 10:00 AM to 17:00PM/18:00PM
Leader for the day: Juan Martín Bermúdez
I have just had a look at the Temp, Rain and wind for this time last year and the max temp around this time is only 27 degrees on the 27th to25 degrees on the 1st.  So not that hot,no rain and low wind speed.

Information about the meeting:
Author: Juan Martín Bermúdez.
Translated by: Deborah Powell.

The Fund for the Stewardship and Recovery of the Salt Marsh (SALARTE) is a private non‐profit entity whose purpose is to work to recover artisan coastal saltpans, to conserve biodiversity and to foster local employment based on endogenous resources. The Bahía de Cádiz Natural Park is an amphibious territory. Down through the centuries, humans managed to reconcile conserving and enhancing its natural capital with the use of environmental services thanks to the sustainable use of the salt marshes, tidal streams, creeks and saltpans. Up until the middle of the 20thcentury, this territory, with a surface area of 10,522 Ha, was home to  over  170  artisan  saltpans,  which  generated biodiversity, economic  resources and underpinned an exemplary social fabric. Only 4 artisan saltpans are still worked and 5,373 hectares of what had been world‐famous saltpans and an example to all now lie abandoned.
The  abandoning  of  the  artisan  saltpans  led  to  a  loss  of  environmental  diversity  and  the degradation of key habits for migratory species to rest, feed and breed along the Atlantic flyway.
It also meant the squandering of countless natural resources that could help the recovery of a depressed socio‐economy and, finally, the disappearance of  the emotional  bond between
society and the territory.

After discovering this dramatic reality of territorial abandonment and loss of environmental quality in a province with a 40% unemployment rate, this team of professionals – who at the
time had the advantage of working for the Public Sector – began to transform a salt marsh used for fly tipping, poaching and other illegal activities into what is now the largest Metropolitan
Park in the Iberian Peninsula, Los Toruños. We also organised two International Artisan Salt Fairs and worked to get Spanish legislation changed to ensure a level playing field to manage
Spanish artisan saltpans on a par with countries such as Portugal and France. In 2012, we set up this NGO to recover salt marshes as private venture.
SALARTE seeks to show that the sustainable management of salt marshes generates socio‐economic benefits for the local population, fosters biodiversity, improves the functioning of
natural processes and strengthens the bond between humans and the territory. Therefore, a year ago, we took over an old saltpan‐island abandoned decades ago. Thanks to
our experience and steadfast work (with barely any resources and no public funding), we are gradually transforming it into a Natural Reserve that seeks to involve the human being in the
salt marsh, increase biodiversity and showcase its wealth by organising lectures and guided visit to this legendary territory.
SALARTE is the only private NGO to manage a Reserve Zone of the Andalusian Network of Protected Natural Spaces, which is designated as a “Special Area of Conservation and is part of
the European Natura 2000 Network.

La Covacha is an old saltpan with a surface area of 26.5 Ha.  It is part of the Trocadero Island and one of the main squares in Paris is named in honour of the Battle of Trocadero fought here. 
Despite being a cultural, historical and ecological centre, the Trocadero Island enjoys maximum legal protection, even though it has been abandoned for decades.
Despite the numerous restoration and conversation projects by public authorities, the lack of upkeep and management of La Covacha meant that the tides and strong back wash had
damaged  the  sluice  gates  and  outside  boundary  walls  that  protect La Covacha from the surrounding marine environment. This led to a dramatic drop in numbers of the spoonbill
(Platalea leucorodia) colony based in La Covacha since 1996. Convinced that civil society needs to take up the managing of salt pans and areas in the
maritime‐terrestrial  public  domain,  SALARTE  sought  authorisation  from  the  Regional Government of Andalusia to take on La Covacha for its integral management as a service for
aquatic and marine biodiversity. This private NGO is made up of young independent professionals that do not have sufficient economic resources to invest.  However, thanks to environmental volunteer drives, agreements drawing on the expertise of shell fishermen and organising bird‐watching routes, we have repaired the damage to the outside boundary wall, built new sluice gates and are managing the water inside the island to foster biodiversity and recover the island as a spoonbill breeding area. During spring and summer 2014, the osprey (Pandion haliaetus) chose La Covacha as the site for the first attempt of non‐assisted reproduction in the Bahía de Cádiz Natural Park since it was
declared extinct as a breeding bird halfway through the 20th century.  Our aim is to use management resources to encourage osprey breeding in 2015. Therefore, at the end of this winter and early spring, we made significant improvements to this island, which were urgently needed, and involving an investment of 7,000 euros. Even though
the association lacked the funds, the SALARTE members decided to undertake the work even with the risk of having to donate the money ourselves.  The construction company has been
highly supportive of the project, lowered the cost of the works and agreed to allow us to pay in instalments. Thanks to a successful crowdfunding initiative, we have managed to raise nearly half the cost of the works and La Covacha has welcome spring and its nesting birds with a series of small but exciting improvements, consisting of:

  Two nesting platforms and several artificial perches for the osprey.
  A raised hide to monitor the spoonbill colony.
  A refurbished tool room for the management and maintenance of the island.
  A jetty to make it easier to access the island.
  A photo/video camera to monitor the osprey.

Despite being quite common in the UK, land stewardship is a tool that is practically unknown in Andalusia.  We aim to set an example to show how important it is for civil society to get involved
in restoring the natural environment and how it generates environmental benefits, leads to social improvements for the population and recovers territorial pride.

We are striving to get the general public to be committed to improving the territory and reproduce  the  Anglo‐Saxon  environmental  management  model  in  Andalusia.  We  would
therefore be delighted to welcome Gibraltarian ornithologists and nature lovers, with whom we have such strong ties and who have done so much down through the years to showcase the
Strait  of  Gibraltar  and  the  bird  migration  phenomenon  to  scientists,  nature  lovers  and enthusiasts around the world.
We would be delighted to welcome you to the Bay of Cadiz. SALARTE technicians will show you the secrets of the last traditional saltpans, explain how they work and let you discover the
mythical La Covacha Island for yourselves.  The support of GONHS members is fundamental for this project as an impetus to help this small organisation continue working on our common goal:
knowledge about and respecting nature.

During the visit, some of the many birds you are likely to see include ospreys and spoonbills, flamingos, several species of gulls, great cormorant, Caspian terns, gull billed terns, common
redshanks, spotted redshanks, common greenshanks, common sandpipers, wood sandpipers, green sandpipers, curlew sandpipers, marsh harriers, hen harriers, booted eagles, common
kestrels, turnstones, oystercatchers, grey plovers, European golden plovers, sanderlings, red knots, dunlins, black‐tailed godwits, bar‐tailed godwits, Eurasian curlews, whimbrels, Kentish
plovers, little ringed plovers, common ringed plovers. You will also be able to discover the seagrass meadows, which are home to many species of fish, shellfish, shrimp, prawns, sea horses
and other important species.
A traditional fishing boat will take you through the tidal reed beds and sea grass meadows to disembark –at the brand‐new jetty– on the island that the Hundred Thousand Sons of St. Louis
seized during the Peninsular Wars. You will there learn how the marshland water is managed using sluice gates and walls, along with having time for bird‐watching and to take in this
unique scenery.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Bay of Cadiz and take you to La Covacha where you will discover the legacy of centuries of converging evolution between humans and nature.

P.S. In July, Salarte have been awarded the Andalusian Environmental Prize in the Natural Values of Andalusia category and given by Andalusian Government.

Accommodation in the area: Yes, there are several hotels near from meeting point.
Clothing and food: comfort clothing (shorts, nautic shoes, T-shirt…), solar protection, hat or cap.

Possible birds
Obviously, it depends of the month and the bird migration season. Usually, during the visit, some of the many birds you are likely to see include ospreys and spoonbills, flamingos, several species of gulls, great cormorant, Caspian terns, gull billed terns, common redshanks, spotted redshanks, common greenshanks, common sandpipers, wood sandpipers, green sandpipers, curlew sandpipers, marsh harriers, hen harriers, booted eagles, common kestrels, turnstones, oystercatchers, grey plovers, European golden plovers, sanderlings, red knots, dunlins, black-tailed godwits, bar-tailed godwits, Eurasian curlews, whimbrels, Kentish plovers, little ringed plovers, common ringed plovers, etc.
Other sites in the area for those staying over night. I like a lovely 3 stars hotel located 5 kilometers from the meeting point. Called CAMPOMAR www.hotelcampomar.net, which is managed by people who know our project. Please, find about location, terms and conditions and, if you are interested in, before check I offer you to talk with the manager in order to trying to get better prices for you.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:26:37 pm by Franky no Hair » Logged

For long weekends or just days birding come with me to this wonderful part of Spain visit my web site at http://www.birdinginspain.co.uk/
Franky no Hair
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 03:49:35 pm »

I will be going to this one.  We have been asked by the membership to look at giving a donation to a conservation project, this trip is a win win situation as we get some birding and they get some moneys for there conservation project.

For long weekends or just days birding come with me to this wonderful part of Spain visit my web site at http://www.birdinginspain.co.uk/
Trevor H
ABS Member

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 04:52:04 pm »

Hi Frank

Count Ruth and myself in as we would have just arrived in Arcos the day before, so it'll be great to make a local trip for once.

Trevor
Linda
ABS Member

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 03:26:17 pm »

Hi Frank,
I will be attending this meeting. Linda
Bob Wright
Bob Wright
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 08:16:09 am »

Arthur Oliver (Olly) will also be attending.

Franky no Hair
ABS Member

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 02:26:11 pm »

Hi Peeps
             I will not be able to attend this meeting now as I have been invited to spend some time with my daughter and grand daughter in France.  She is having a holiday in Perpignan and has invited us up for a few days.  Sorry I can not miss seeing my little girls.  I will keep my eye this page and answer any questions that you have.  Anyone been birding there any good sites?

Roger Smith

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 06:27:51 pm »

Hi Frank.

Jean and I will be joining you on the field trip 29th August.

Roger Smith.
Lindsay Pheasant

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 11:12:19 am »

Hi Frank

Keith and I will be going.

Lindsay
Lucy Alio

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 06:06:32 pm »

I will be going to this one.  We have been asked by the membership to look at giving a donation to a conservation project, this trip is a win win situation as we get some birding and they get some moneys for there conservation project.
Franky no Hair
ABS Member

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 02:45:30 pm »

Hi Lucy
          I have had a e-mail from Bob to say that you and Ernesto are coming and you wish to pay your subs on that day.  As you can see from the post above that I will no longer be coming I will contact Linda to see whether she can collect it from yourself, or if Luis Alberto is there you can give it to him.
                                                   Have Fun Frank

Trevor H
ABS Member

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 04:42:22 pm »

Hi Frank

Just been looking at the details for the meeting next week and in particular where we meet and park.  Looking at google earth the area for parking seems quite large and sprawling, where exactly do we meet? I've seen one parking area called Torre Baja, what should we look out for?

Regards

Trevor
Franky no Hair
ABS Member

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 09:10:12 am »

Hi Trevor looking at the map I think we should head for the parking area to the left of the entrance just off the C3202.  I will contact Juan Martín Bermúdez so he will be there as well.
                                                                 Have Fun Frank

https://www.google.es/maps/@36.5195477,-6.1540024,224m/data=!3m1!1e3

Carlos
ABS Member

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 08:00:00 pm »

Hello Frank,

Sorry for not replying earlier. Is it still possible for Rocío and me to join the Covacha field meeting?
By the way, thanks for updating the location link as the previous one was a bit confusing (probably a web browser matter).

Looking forward to hearing from you,
  Rocío & Carlos.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:03:09 pm by Carlos » Logged
mike in Jerez
ABS Member

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 08:26:07 pm »

I shall also be coming. Are there no nearby ventas/mesones/ chiringuitos for lunch??
Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

Cómpeta - Axarquía - Málaga

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 01:06:57 pm »

- and Mogens and I will join you!  8)

See you all,
Petrea

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: Field meeting for Aug « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length