Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2018, 05:46:10 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: July 20, 2018, 07:36:46 pm 
Started by Franky no Hair - Last post by Petrea
Will be there!

Petrea & Mogens

on: July 20, 2018, 06:27:55 pm 
Started by Franky no Hair - Last post by Franky no Hair
Event:
ABS visit to the Charca de Suarez reserve on the western outskirts of Motril, Granada province.
Date:
Saturday 15 September 2018
Meeting Point:
Entrance to the reserve
Time:
9 till 1pm plus follow-on (see below)
Leader for the day:
Bob Wright, Membership Secretary
Information about the meeting:
The Charca de Suarez is a wardened, gated reserve with free admission controlled by the opening hours.  On Saturday mornings the gate opens at 9 o’clock and we must exit by 1pm.   I will enter immediately the gate opens with those present.  The gates are open during the four hours so members arriving late can simply enter and check out the 8 hides, preferably in a clockwise direction, so giving you chance to catch up with those already in attendance.  However, once inside the reserve many members may wish to spend more or less time at individual hides and take their own route.
Following our departure, I suggest that we make our way up to the picnic area alongside the Rio Guadalfeo at Velez de Benaudalla where we can enjoy lunch and hope that there are not too many other picnickers!  It may be too late for the breeding Dippers but a good chance for Spotted Flycatcher, Grey and White Wagtails and even a Golden Oriole unless the local breeders have already started their move south.
Directions to the meeting point:
Take the A7 motorway from Malaga towards Motril/Almeria and come off after passing through a long tunnel as you start down an even longer slope and head for Salobreña.  Follow the signs until you reach the old N340 and go under this road taking the first exit towards the “Puerto.”  After about 1km you will pass a petrol station on your right and almost immediate come to some overhead traffic lights.  Take the first right, almost in front of the above lights and then right again at the end of the road next to a small hotel.  You will now find a number of tower blocks on your right including the 4* Hotel Elba and the entrance to the site is at the end of the last tower block, about 400 metres for your last turn.  Parking is on the road so look out for a suitable space.
Accommodation in the area:
We have no Affiliated Members in the immediate area and I am unable to advise on accommodation for those travelling from afar.
Clothing and food:
Not usually a problem with “midges” but would suggest hat and suncream as it can still be quite hot in mid-September.  All being well, I suspect many of us might still be wearing shorts.  For those moving on for the afternoon up at Velez de Benaudalla please remember to bring a picnic.  Toilets are provided at both sites but whether or not they are open is another matter!
Possible birds:
Always a good chance to find the breeding Little Bitterns and maybe even a visiting Little or Spotted Crake.  Jack Snipe turn up during the winter.  Again, a good chance of Ferruginous Duck along with all the regulars and often Night, Squacco and Grey Heron but probably too late for the migrating Purple Herons. The “standard” raptors are Marsh Harrier, Booted Eagle and Common Kestrel but we have also recorded Black-shouldered Kites during the winter months.  However, the two birds that can be almost guaranteed at this site are Purple Swamphen and Red-knobbed Coot, the latter in “normal” appearance and the majority without those ugly neck collars used to identify most of this species.
Other sites in the area for those staying overnight:
Beach birding can be regarding at certain times of the year and others in the know seem to find a range of appropriate birds at the local commercial port.  But please check on access.

on: July 16, 2018, 01:33:13 pm 
Started by Peter - Last post by grahamfmills
Hi Peter,
I look forward to attending the July Field meeting
Cheers
Graham

on: July 11, 2018, 11:48:09 pm 
Started by Peter - Last post by Jim Wardell
Barbara and I shall be there.
Cheers,
Jim Wardell

on: July 11, 2018, 04:16:42 pm 
Started by Franky no Hair - Last post by Katina Simmons
It is on my calendar. I sent you an email.

Thanks so much,
Katina

on: July 11, 2018, 03:52:39 pm 
Started by Peter - Last post by Katina Simmons
Looking forward to joining the group on July 21.

Thanks so much,
Katina

on: July 11, 2018, 03:18:13 pm 
Started by Peter - Last post by Mel Hayes
Hi Peter Lorraine and Mel will be there

on: July 11, 2018, 01:36:15 pm 
Started by Peter - Last post by Bob Wright
11 July

Peter

Just had a message from jenny to say that she feels like a day out and happy to go to La Janda on 21 July.  Means setting off early as no sensible-priced accommodation in the area but, as she says, awake by 6 so no problem.  See you there and collect some magazines direct.  You will have noticed that I put another reminder in the Monthly Mailing "Correction."

Bob

on: July 10, 2018, 06:11:00 pm 
Started by Peter - Last post by Einar Harboe
I intend to participate on July 21th. I'll drive from Mijas Pueblo in the morning, returning the same day.
Regards
Einar Harboe
Sorry - I had to go back to Norway. Regards Einar

on: July 10, 2018, 05:56:58 pm 
Started by Peter - Last post by mickbaines
Hi folks

Maren and I are aiming to attend, along with Leandra Gerards.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Login with username, password and session length