Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2019, 08:47:52 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: May Field meeting to El Torcal, Malaga Province « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: May Field meeting to El Torcal, Malaga Province  (Read 19090 times)
Richard Tong
ABS Member

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 10:13:32 am »

Hi
Myself and my wife Wendy would like to join the group (I registered seconds ago) and visit El Torcal on May 21. We shall stay in Antequera and then meet you at the visitor centre at 9.45. I have read the recent posts and am very excited about the day. Is there anything else we need to know?
Richard
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 12:40:17 pm »

Are you members of the Society Richard? These Field Meetings are held each and every month for members of the Andalucia Bird Society. You can join as a member on the day if you have not already done so. I am sure you will receive a warm welcome from our members on the day.

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
Richard Tong
ABS Member

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 08:56:16 am »

Hi, Peter
Thanks for the reply. Yes, Wendy and myself would like to become members and I will join for both of us on the day.
There is just one problem. Wendy cannot attend this time and will have our car. I will therefore be travelling by train to Antequera, where I shall be staying at the Colon Hotel on Friday night. Do you think that someone could give me a lift from and back to Antequera on the Saturday? I would be up for the early or later call. i would be really grateful if someone could help out and of course contribute to petrol costs.
Best wishes
Richard
Maureen Taylor
ABS Member

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 11:50:59 am »

8) 8) 8)
John and I are staying in Villanueva at  'Rincon del Torcal' on Friday night. Certainly aim to be up for the Early Call. Fingers crossed for the Eagle Owl.   Regards Maureen
Ricky Owen
ABS Member

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 10:59:35 pm »

Hi Luis Alberto

Sonia and I will be there for 2nd roll call

Ricky
Luis Alberto Birdaytrip
ABS Member

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 10:42:06 am »

Dear all,

It looks like next Saturday we are going to enjoy good weather, perhaps a little windy. It won’t be very cold in the morning, though some warm clothes will be necessary for the brave early birders, nor too hot during the day but a bit of sunscreen will be welcome.

If we are as lucky as I was yesterday there, the trip will be great. I won’t even post my trip report and photos not to create big expectations...

For those that will base attendance to the first call at 6:00 on the Eagle Owl, I have to say I missed it yesterday, though I recorded 24 species before coming back to the village at 9:00!

We will stop for lunch in recreational facilities with tables and a bit of shade at around 13:00, so bring your picnic bag with you and do not worry about our lunch break during the morning.

Please, confirm your attendance, specially those coming at 6:00, and be punctual as we need to get to the Visitors Centre as soon as possible.

See you on Saturday!!

Luis Alberto Rodríguez

jerry
ABS Member

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 08:00:35 pm »

hi to all.    I will be with you for the 9.30 call.  Barbara, unfortunately, has school reports to finish,so wont be there.

Jerry Laycockl
Steve25

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 01:01:24 pm »

Four of us will arrive by 9:30 tomorrow. Myself, Elena, Mary Ann Murphy and Gerry? who will join the Society on arrival. Look forward to seeing you then. By the way last weekend you could not reach the Visitor's Centre by car. They were busing people up from a parking place about 15 minutes down the hill, there was a fare to pay for the bus. Could be early arrivals will be allowed through but be prepared.
Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

Cómpeta - Axarquía - Málaga

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 06:34:03 pm »

Hola a todos!

This is not about the many fine birds, we saw, but ID of the orchids:

After consulting my books, I believe that the unidentified one at the visitor´s center was  Orchis laxiflora

And the latest one, at l late stop: Anacamptis pyramidalis.

Any other suggestions?

Saludos
Petrea

Brenda
Supporting ABS
ABS Member

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2016, 12:48:47 pm »

Would you like to post photos here Petrea?

Saludos, Brenda

Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2016, 05:29:13 pm »

The photos I´ve got can be seen here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/104920847831480883808/6289700725144625473

There seem to be general agreement about the pyramidalis, of which I have no photo (I think Luis Alberto has).

Saludos
petrea
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:31:12 pm by Petrea » Logged

Brenda
Supporting ABS
ABS Member

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2016, 11:56:58 am »

hello Petrea,

Have a look at O. tenthredinifera ssp. ficalhoana for the Sawfly orchid. The later species often are the subspecies.

Have a look also at Orchis langei as it could be rather than O.laxiflora though I am not 100% sure as can't see them too brilliantly.

Saludos,
Brenda

Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2016, 03:44:02 pm »

Hi Brenda,

The laxiflora should prefer humid plases, which indicates that you may well be right about the langei. However, I came across this comparison, which suggest olbiensis:

http://www.adolfoventas.es/galeria/index.php?file=minicms/cms&id=86

What is confusing is that it has no spots, see Luis Albertos blog (nd photo):

http://www.birdaytrip.es/blog/item/561-andalucia-bird-society-may-field-meeting-at-el-torcal-malaga-2016-05-21

A hybrid?

About the tenthredinifera: I thought that it was rather late there, and the flowers were much larger that we find them in my neck of thw wood, so likely to be the ficalhoana:

http://www.adolfoventas.es/galeria/index.php?file=minicms/cms&id=83

Thanks for your input, Brenda! :)

Saludos
Petrea
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:47:06 pm by Petrea » Logged

Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2016, 09:13:39 pm »

Oh, perhaps I should have attached an anlarged photo of the flower of the laxiflora/langei/olbiensis

* P5216884-001.JPG (197.84 kB, 440x486 - viewed 247 times.)

Brenda
Supporting ABS
ABS Member

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2016, 11:47:31 am »

The O. langei in our area are mostly without spots, or very faint.

Pleased to have been of help.

Un saludo,

Brenda

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: May Field meeting to El Torcal, Malaga Province « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length