Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2019, 01:08:30 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  Publications and Multimedia  |  Publications and Multimedia  |  Publications and Multimedia  |  Topic: Sierra de las Nieves - Birdwatcher's Guide « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sierra de las Nieves - Birdwatcher's Guide  (Read 3024 times)
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« on: March 11, 2013, 03:15:14 pm »

Book Review:

The Sierra de las Nieves – Birdwatcher’s Guide
Authors: Juan Oñate García & Marta Oñate Gutiérrez
Publisher: Editorial Serrania, S.L.
ISBN: 978-84-15588-00-9

I always look forward to receiving books from Serranía Books, the first thing to strike you is how well they are produced. Of course the content has to also be well structured and interesting, so it was with much anticipation that I sat myself down to read Juan Oñate’s guide to birdwatching in the UNESCO Biosphere Park of Sierra de las Nieves.
The author has had a lifetime’s experience of his subject and writes with a passion for the many natural delights to be found within the park boundaries. The writing is easy and covers such subjects as habitat, weather and physical geography before setting out to describe the birdlife of this fascinating area. Each bird is treated separately and is illustrated by some superb photographs, distribution for each species is shown with a grid map and relative abundance is described by key overlays on the map. Help is offered on identification and food together with habitat is described. One constant niggle for me was the bird names, where lower case instead of capitals were used for the English version.
After the extensive species listing, the author then describes walks in the area and these are extremely well presented. Fourteen walks are individually dealt with and each represents a different ecosystem enabling the more energetic to explore the park in full. Of course by following these walks you can see all the many species here as well as other fauna and flora. The descriptions include maps and waypoints, so in theory, even I shouldn’t get lost! As a bonus, the book comes complete with a CD, which is broadly a collection of bird songs and a very diverse range of data in the region.
In summary, this is a book to enjoy; it will delight those more familiar with the area as well as those who just want to visit this stunning part of southern Spain.

Peter Jones

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  Publications and Multimedia  |  Publications and Multimedia  |  Publications and Multimedia  |  Topic: Sierra de las Nieves - Birdwatcher's Guide « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length