Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2019, 08:53:40 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  Publications and Multimedia  |  Publications and Multimedia  |  Publications and Multimedia  |  Topic: Costa del Sol News – July 9-16, 2009 – No639 « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Costa del Sol News – July 9-16, 2009 – No639  (Read 5104 times)
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« on: July 17, 2009, 10:10:19 am »

Costa del Sol News – July 9-16, 2009 – No639

Well, I don’t know about you but if I see an article appearing in any periodical, newspaper etc. concerning wildlife, then my attention is always drawn and I settle down to enjoy a good read. If you are able to lay your hands on a copy of the above issue, then turn to page 20 and be prepared to be thoroughly enlightened on the creatures you can encounter in wild Spain!

I should have been prepared for shocks, when reading in the article’s headlines that there are still mountain lions in Spain. And yet it only got better or worse depending on your sense of humour. There are some real nuggets of misinformation and I quote “I virtually tripped over an Adder en route and have seen Iguanas as big as baby Alligators crossing the road”. The author moves on to describe areas as moorland and in his enthusiasm for the fauna goes further unto the mire with yet more gems of ignorance quote “There is also a surprising variation of wildlife unsurpassed elsewhere in Europe.” He then goes on to include some remarkable species living wild here, Civets and Ocelots being prime examples of an imagination bordering on, well okay to be polite, expansive!

The author bemoans his luck not seeing such species as Iberian Wolf or Brown Bear, but you can’t win them all. I would settle for Mountain Lion, Iguana, Civet and Ocelot!!!

Amazing and I have, through kindness  ;), omitted a few other notable errors. Sorry, but the article was so appalling I had to write about it.  :(

Peter
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:13:49 am by Peter » Logged

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
john
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:00:21 pm »

Personally, I always try to get a copy of the 'Olive Press' which carries far more intelligent, well researched and expert articles than this poor excuse for a newspaper.  As I'm sure Peter will agree, it's coverage of natural history topics is particularly good,

John
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 07:22:59 pm »

I agree John, but it can be a little alarmist and give you the feeling the area is unsafe to live in, which is very far from the truth.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:52:52 pm by Peter » Logged

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
Derek

Support ABS

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 08:09:31 pm »

Personally, I always try to get a copy of the 'Olive Press' which carries far more intelligent, well researched and expert articles than this poor excuse for a newspaper.  As I'm sure Peter will agree, it's coverage of natural history topics is particularly good,

John

Agree with John regarding the 'Olive Press', another one to miss is Euro Weekly! How do people get away with writing such rubbish as the article in the Costa del Sol News? The editor must be responsible, which normally means it ain't worth complaining to them as they go all defensive! What a nonsense the writer must be.

Derek  :o

Derek
Support the British Trust for Ornithology (and ABS of course!)

www.bto.org
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  Publications and Multimedia  |  Publications and Multimedia  |  Publications and Multimedia  |  Topic: Costa del Sol News – July 9-16, 2009 – No639 « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length