Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2019, 12:17:06 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  General Information Wanted  |  Topic: Birding near El Hoyo in July « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Birding near El Hoyo in July  (Read 3728 times)
Alf King

« on: July 22, 2009, 06:04:42 pm »

My wife and I will be staying in El Hoyo for a couple of nights next week and I wondered if there is any good birding to be had nearby. I do realise whay the weather is like at this time of year and the improbability of seeing anything after the early morning, but raptors would be good for example.

If all else fails we will probably try the La Serena region although I was planning to visit there later in our holiday.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Alf King
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 01:42:15 pm »

Hi Alf,

El Hoyo near to where exactly? There are a few El Hoyo in Andalucia. Will try and help if I know exactly where you will be.

Peter

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
Alf King

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 11:59:48 am »

Apologies for my ignorance, I didn't know that El Hoyo was a common place name. the one that I'm referring to is close to Penarroya-Pueblonuevo, the mining district. As I have now returned from my trip I might answer my own question.

The area offered a number of places with potential but, as time was short and the weather hot we plumped for only one. North of Belalcazar, on the road to Estacion de Belalcazar, the road crosses the Rio Guadamatilla and it is possible to pull off here and explore up and downstream. there was plenty to see, particularly for the time of year (29th July), and it is clearly a great spot in spring and early summer. We had:

Golden Eagle - excellent close  views down to 20m of a 1st/2nd summer bird for 5 minutes
Cettis Warbler - numerous
Kingfisher - 3 at least
Rock Sparrow - many
Sardinian Warbler - 2+, quite confiding for the time of year
Creasted lark - common
Hoopoe - everywhere
Green Sandpiper - 3+
Red-legged Partridge - 20+
Blackbird
Barn Swallow
Red-rumper Swallow
Crag Martin
House Martin
Common Swift
Goldfinch
Buzzard - 2
Great tit
Zitting Cisticola

Only the heat forced us to quit - I'm sure that we would have turned up a couple of other things given the time.

We moved on briefly to N of Estacion be Belalcazar to the edge of the Embalse de Serena - I realise that this is in Extramadura but may be of interest here all the same. Here we had:

Temminck's Stint - 6+
Common Sandpiper - many
Wood Sandpiper - many
Northern Lapwing - 6+
Black-winged Stilt - many
Black-headed Gull - 6
Little-ringed Plover - 5
Greenshank - 2
Cattle Egret
Mallard
Ferriginous Duck - 3
Grey Heron
Southern Grey Shrike
Woodchat Shrike
Montagu's Harrier  - 2, m&f
Spotless Starling
B-B Magpie

Not bad for a brief excursion.

Regards

Alf King
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 10:37:55 am »

Sounded a great trip Alf and sorry you were left to answer your own question! Its a young forum, getting better all the time, but the more that join the better and more informative it will become.

Congrats on the list and thanks for letting us know how you got on. I do aim to get birding sites listed for the whole of Andalucia, province by province, and post them collectively on the main web site. Its a big undertaking and will probably take to the end of the year. I have already made a start, dealing first with Natural Parks and then going to other birding hot spots, thought I would begin with Jaen and work down and across. So if anyone has any good 'local' sites, please let me know.

Peter

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  General Information Wanted  |  Topic: Birding near El Hoyo in July « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length