Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2019, 08:44:14 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  General Information Wanted  |  Topic: Andalucia 28.12.09-04.01.10 « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Andalucia 28.12.09-04.01.10  (Read 3868 times)
MichaANeumann

« on: November 23, 2009, 04:34:00 pm »

Micha A. Neumann <Micha.A.Neumann@gmx.de>

Hello,
my wife and me will have a one week holiday in a hotel in Matalascanas. I am a keen birdwatcher and birdringer in Germany. It will be my first time in Andalucia and though it will not be a pure birding trip I would love to find some of the specials. Highest on my list are: Spanish Imperial Eagle, Crested Coot, Booted Eagle...
Any help in finding this species and other nice birds and birding places in the area would be appreciated.
Micha A. Neumann :)
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 08:48:33 pm »

Hi Micha,

To be very honest you would do best to purchase a copy of 'A Birdwatching Guide to Donana' by John Butler published by Trafford Publishing ISBN: 978-1-4251-2192-1 (Alternatively visit their website www.trafford.com to purchase).

I think the above is your best option and will give you all the information you need, plus some ideas of where else to look in the area.

Hope this is helpful,

Peter

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
Kevin Wade
ABS Member

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 09:31:53 pm »

Hi Micha

I second Peter's excellent advice.  I was there four weeks ago and even though I know the Northern marshes quite well, used the book extensively.  The area around El Rocio is incredibly dry at the moment and the rice fields in the northern marshes were the only areas containing water.

Incidentally, many of the  firmer roads in the Northern marshes have been "streetviewed" on Google Earth, so you can see such sights as el Cortijo de los Madrigales (site North 12 in John's book) as wrap around 360ยบ photos!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 10:46:53 am by Kevin Wade » Logged

Kevin
Bob Wright
Bob Wright
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 04:40:15 pm »

Hi Micha!
With friend and espective wives we spent a week at Matalascanas at the beginning of this month, staying at Tierra Mar Golf hotel.  Great base for viiting local birding spots.  Lots of birds seen in Donana but, having had no rain for months, whole area was very dry.  If you have the use of a car, take the coast road to Huelva and visit the Odiel Marshes.  Absolutlely great site - especially for waders.  Your hotel will be able to check high tide times so that you can plan to be there at Low Tide.  We visited twice during week; each journey taking about 40 minutes at most.  You can read my account on the blog at:   http://birdingaxarquia.blogspot.com
Also, if visiting Rio Tinto concentrate on the fabulous museum.  No point in going on the mine excursion; it is not what you would expect.  Train ride was very enjoyable so make sure you arrive in time for 1 o'clock departure (if going).

Hope you enjoy your visit to Andalucia and welcome to the "Club".

Bob Wright

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  General Information Wanted  |  Topic: Andalucia 28.12.09-04.01.10 « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length