Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2019, 04:24:19 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Other Wildlife  |  Other Wildlife  |  Mammals  |  Topic: Seeing the Pardel Lynx plus other wildlife. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Seeing the Pardel Lynx plus other wildlife.  (Read 7371 times)
Mick
ABS Member

« on: December 08, 2009, 07:51:35 pm »

The Pardel lynx in Sierra Morena.

Jayne, John and I set off at some unearthly hour to drive into the mountains in Jaen Province with a dream of seeing Pardel Lynx (Lynx pardina). This was a trip I had long waited to do and a species I had wanted to see for many years.
We arrived before the dawn but found the site was blanket in Mist and visibility was about 30 meters. We as soon as we got out we started to pick things up by including the Bellowing calls sound of a great number of rutting Red Deer (Cervus elaphus), Little Owl and as soon as dawn arrived many species of passerine started to rise. Greenfinch (Greenfinch / Carduelis chloris), Jay (Jay / Eurasian Jay), Robin (Petirrrojo / Erithacus rubecula), Spotless Starling (Starling Black / Sturnus unicolor), Woodpigeon (Mourning Dove / Wood Pigeon), White Wagtail (Maríuerla / Montacilla alba), Song (Song Thrush / Turdus philomelos) and Mistle Thrush (Thrush Charlo / Mistle Thrush), Linnet (Linnet / Carduelis cannabina), Common Chiffchaff (Common Chiffchaff / Chiffchaff), Azure-winged Magpie (Azure-winged Magpie / Cyanopica cyanus) and Sardinian Warbler (Warbler / Sylvia melanocephala) were all heard.
John and I had a stroll along one of the tracks and I had a look at some of the trees and plants. The only blooms seen Belonged to Iberian Milk-vetch (Astragalus lusitanicus), a species I had seen before in the area around Grazalema. Round-leaved Oak (Quercus rotundifolia), Strawberry Tree (Arbutus unedo) and Cistus bushes made up a vast amount of the ground about 12:30 cover.At the fog had cleared enough for some serious watching to take place. One of the first interesting finds was an adult Spanish Imperial Eagle (Aguila Imperial Ibérica / Aguila adalberti) which was sitting in one of the larger Oaks, it later moved closer in a eucalyptus but Remain on view all day much to the dislike of the local Common Magpie (Magpie / Pica pica) and House Sparrow (House Sparrow) population pestered Which it all afternoon.
I then took a stroll along the track again and on my way back I stopped to talk to a couple of Spanish lads and suddenly notice Jayne and John waving madly and I soon realized that the walk was a big mistake. The next 200 meters were a blur, I was not but it was the fastest I have moved in a very very long time (probably since PE lessons at school), I got to the others to get a two second view thought the scope. I had seen a Lynx but not for any thing like long enough, but it was a start and I did not wonder off again for the rest of the day. Luckily a few minutes later the magnificent male Lynx came into view again a lot closer, it moved through the Oaks at speed and then appeared right out in the open on one of the tracks. We had marvelous views, it was still about 400 meters away through the scope but it was great. During the afternoon the animal was seen again briefly several times until its last sighting when it was about a KM away again through the scope but it could be seen lying in the grass cleaning its self out of sight before moving over to the day ridge.During we also saw Chaffinch (Chaffinch / Fringilla coelebs), Green Woodpecker (Green Woodpecker / Picus viridis) a couple call continuously all day, Blackbird (Common Blackbird / Turdus merula), Blackcap (Blackcap / Sylvia atricapilla), Red-legged Partridge (Partridge Red / Alectoris rufa), Red-billed Chough (Red-billed Chough / Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax), Little Owl (European Little Owl / Athene noctua), Great Spotted Woodpecker (Great Spotted Woodpecker / Dendrocopos major), Goldfinch (Goldfinch / Carduelis carduelis), Long -tailed Tit (Myth / Long-tailed Tit), Spotless Starling (Starling Black / Sturnus unicolor), Hawfinch (Hawfinch / Coccotraustes coccotraustes), Rock Bunting (Escribano Montesino / Emberiza cia), Blue Rock Thrush (Blue Rock Thrush / Monticola solitarius), Crag Martin (Crag Martin / Crag Martin) and Dartford Warbler (Dartford Warbler / Sylvia undata).

All the best Mick.

* Lynx-1.jpg (49.94 kB, 591x443 - viewed 1240 times.)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:59:41 am by Peter » Logged

Mick Richardson, Birds, Butterflies, Dragonflies, Orchids and Wildflowers in Granada Province and beyond!

www.granadawildlife.com    THE WORK SITE.
www.lojawildlife.com        THE BLOG.
mickbirdinginspain@gmail.com      THE EMAIL.
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 09:50:34 am »

What a fantastic day Mick. I am extremely jealous and sorry to hear you had such a hard run to get to see this wonderful feline (glad actually, think you should suffer for your art).

Peter

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
Mick
ABS Member

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 05:05:40 pm »

Hi All.

Another Lynx day and a Wallcreeper as a side show.

Mick.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:46:35 am by Peter » Logged

Mick Richardson, Birds, Butterflies, Dragonflies, Orchids and Wildflowers in Granada Province and beyond!

Mick
ABS Member

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 04:46:36 pm »

Hi All.

Had yet another day with the Lynx, this time we hit really lucky and picked up a family group of five cats and also heard another animal calling.
See more on the blog listed below

Mick.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Other Wildlife  |  Other Wildlife  |  Mammals  |  Topic: Seeing the Pardel Lynx plus other wildlife. « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length