Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2019, 07:24:24 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Tips For New & 'Old' Birders  |  Topic: Finding Scops Owl « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Finding Scops Owl  (Read 7112 times)
john
ABS Member

« on: March 08, 2009, 11:56:06 pm »

Despite claims to the contrary I've yet to see or hear Scops owl around the village of Alcala de los Gazules.  Since the relevant bird atlas suggests there aren't any in 'my' 10km square this is no big surprise.  I've not really had the inclination of drive off somewhere else to look as I'm no great fan of night driving, but now my failure is beginning to bother me!  So if anyone knows of a good regular site in Cadiz province (Jerez?  Vejer? Benalup?  Los Barrios? etc)  please let me know.  Actually the same applies for Eagle Owl although I strongly suspect an evening trip to Los Barrios tip - the smelliest place I've ever been to incidentally - may pay dividends!

John
harryabbott

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:09:09 pm »

Hi John,
 We actually live in Malaga near Mijas but we did have Scops in our urb. valley last year. We listened to them regularly but I was never able to see them. They drove some of our non birwatching scandinavian neighbours nuts with their continous peeps to each other!
We did however see our RN nightjars displaying and that was something to see silouetted in the evening sky.... and the wing claps....just magical.
If the Scops owls return this year you would be very welcome to come and visit.
Harry.
john
ABS Member

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 01:21:17 am »

Many thanks Harry, but I was really hoping for a 40 minute drive (a most) down the A-381 rather than going all the way over to Malaga.  I might just try my luck at a lower elevation somewhere to the south or west of the village.  I'm sure that they can' be far away - in fact I've earmarked a couple of places to look, but would prefer certainty over speculaton as I'm out in April with a friend who's never seen one,

John
harryabbott

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 10:20:25 pm »

Our Scops owls have returned, or at least one male has returned. Last year there were at least two but this year I am not yet sure if we have more than one. I called it into a tree in our garden but all I can see in the twilight is its size and flight pattern which has surprisingly fast wingbeats for an owl.
Can anyone tell me how to find it in daylighht?
Harry
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Tips For New & 'Old' Birders  |  Topic: Finding Scops Owl « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length