Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 15, 2019, 08:38:08 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Bird Identification Q&A  |  Topic: PIPIT IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE... « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PIPIT IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE...  (Read 4410 times)
indalo

Oz Nature Wildlife - Almería

« on: May 22, 2010, 06:51:24 pm »

Hello, this morning at Almería mountains I found this bird. I´m not sure about it is TAWNY PIPIT or RICHARD´S PIPIT.

Any feedback is very welcome. Thanks

Jesús

* PIPIT.jpg (119.7 kB, 838x845 - viewed 770 times.)

Almería: a natural open museum under the sun.
Mick
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 09:43:00 pm »

Hi Jesús.

I am notoriously bad at Ids from photographs but looking at the plain mantle, dark loral strip and the fact that I think Richards Pipit is only a rare/uncommon autumn visitor, I will start the ball rolling by going with Tawny.

Mick.

Mick Richardson, Birds, Butterflies, Dragonflies, Orchids and Wildflowers in Granada Province and beyond!

www.granadawildlife.com    THE WORK SITE.
www.lojawildlife.com        THE BLOG.
mickbirdinginspain@gmail.com      THE EMAIL.
indalo

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 10:30:16 pm »

Many thanks, Mick... for this information. After talking to Peter yesterday, he explained me something about youngs in this species, that shows a hook on the bill at their first growth stage, and that they loose it when they grow up. This "hooked bill" was the strongest reason for putting a doubt about the species id as Anthus pratensiscampestris.

Peter, please. More about this?.

Kind regards.

Mick, MANY THANKS again.

Jesús - Almería

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 08:42:52 am by indalo » Logged

Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 05:51:49 pm »

Hi Jesus,

Yep, but have to say, that although your bird is definately a Tawny Pipit Anthus campestris, the hooked tip is 'more' pronounced in younger birds and is also present in many other Anthus species. Take a look at a few 'Pipit' photographs and you will see the 'hooked' bill, also present in allied species such as Wagtails Motacilla. A great many insectivore species have this hooked tip to the upper mandible i.e. Flycatchers, Thrushes and even some omnivores like Larks! However, most often it is more obvious in younger birds i.e. 1cy and 2cy birds. A good example of how some species loose this hooked tip to the upper mandible when adult is Thekla Lark!

The description offered by Mick seperates your bird from Richard's Pipit, but this family can cause even experienced birders a headache or two, so good to hear about your bird and have an opportunity to discuss it!

Peter  :)

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
indalo

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 09:30:42 pm »

Many thanks, Peter. I´ll let you know more.

Jesús

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Bird Identification Q&A  |  Topic: PIPIT IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE... « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length