Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2019, 08:25:19 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Your Local Patch  |  Topic: Ring Ouzel « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ring Ouzel  (Read 4984 times)
Eva Bratek

« on: January 16, 2011, 01:47:28 pm »

Just a quick note that myself and a friend spotted a lovely Ring Ouzel on top of the Torreon peak in Grazalema two days ago. It looked like a lovely slick male, quite close and clear. I have seen those with Peter and the group in llanos de Libar but never that close - maybe they are not as shy higher up where they see fewer people?

"I believe that an orderly universe, one indifferent to human preoccupations, in which everything has an explanation even if we still have a long way to go before we find it, is a more beautiful, more wonderful place than a universe tricked out with capricious ad hoc magic."
- Richard Dawkins
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:03:34 pm »

Hi Eve,

What a great sighting these birds are and of course (as always) all the better for being a male! I do actually manage close encounters with this species throughout the higher areas within the Sierra de Grazalema and also Sierra de las Nieves, but I can't think of anywhere in our area where you can see them at such low altitude as the Libar... the key I think is we were a group last time and so many people walking and talking doesn't help close views!

Great sighting whenever and wherever though..

Peter

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
Eva Bratek

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 02:17:43 pm »

Thanks, Peter, for your answer!

Now, I wanted to check if I could find Ring Ouzels in the "usual" spot in Llanos de Libar. Just got back and I have an exciting sighting to report: after initial "nothingness" all of a sudden there was a group of about ... 12 - 15 flying low in the hawthorn. Tony, myself and a friend were there and we were frozen to the spot unable to speak - they were everywhere! We think it was a truck that passed by that scared them out of where they had been hidden and they flew out right in front of us! Wonderful! There were a mixed group of females and males. It was a bit fast (and no scope) to start debating the alpestris subspecies...no idea -next time!

How many do you normally see in Libar, Peter? Which subspecies? Do they come in mixed-subspecies groups?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:23:01 pm by Eve » Logged

"I believe that an orderly universe, one indifferent to human preoccupations, in which everything has an explanation even if we still have a long way to go before we find it, is a more beautiful, more wonderful place than a universe tricked out with capricious ad hoc magic."
- Richard Dawkins
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 10:06:36 am »

Sounds like a great encounter Eve, I have had 200+ at the same site! The maximum numbers tend to be around the end of October early November and obviously involve a high percentage of birds moving through and going further south. I far as I can recall my maximum 'winter' count would easily have exceeded 50+, but this figure is likely to be much more given many of the bird will be on higher ground above the valley of Libar. The group, both on passage and wintering are mixed subspecies.

Peter

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
Eva Bratek

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 02:02:31 pm »

Thank you, Peter, for responding again. 200+ - that´s something to look out for next year! I have Ring Ouzel under my skin now so I will be reporting if I manage to find larger numbers and get my head around the two subspecies. Thanks for the info - abrazos - Eva

- Richard Dawkins
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Your Local Patch  |  Topic: Ring Ouzel « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length