Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2019, 10:54:00 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  Publications and Multimedia  |  Publications and Multimedia  |  Birding software & Internet  |  Topic: Bird names translations « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bird names translations  (Read 14647 times)
Merlot

« on: February 06, 2011, 04:12:27 pm »

Hello,

After the trip to Jaén I thought it would be a nice idea to create a little program for Android smartphones with bird names in various languages, you can change the search language via the menu button. Included is a zipped .apk file for the phone and a zipped Excel spreadsheet.

After unzipping the Species translator, copy the file to the phone and install it with a File Manager  (like Astro or AppMonster)

Best regards,
Helen.

Ps. Ha, ha, both files are more than 128KB. When you are interested please send me a message.
Barrie

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 10:38:37 pm »

Yes at the Jaén meeting it was said a booklet would be produced with a birdlist and translations, and I must admit I supported this proposal at the meeting. A couple of days later however when kindly being transported around by Bob, I asked him what order the list would be in. "The Correct Order" said Bob.

Now this is fine, IMHO, for experts like Bob who know what birds fall into which groups, but for beginners like us it will be almost useless. When we want to know the translations between English and Spanish (or even latin) we want them in alphabetical order.

Bob kindly sent me some lists but they were not complete, so I went to the SEO website and downloaded their list. This was for ALL Spain (not just Andalucia) which we prefer. Unfortunately however it was in .pdf format so I found a program that would extract the data into excel. I then omited the birds in the B and D lists. Next problem was that whereas in Spanish the adjectives follow the noun and hence alphabetical sort produces the order wanted, in English the noun follows so some further work was required.

Now I have excel lists that give the translations from English into Spanish and Latin; Spanish into English and Latin; and Latin into English and Spanish, each list being in aphabetical order of the first language (and of the nouns, in the English list).

I realise this will be of no interest to the experts but, as I say, it is what beginners like us need when trying to look up a translation in order to talk with, e.g. Spaniards next to us in a hide.

If any other members feel these lists might be of interest, they are welcome to them - see attachments. (I also have the source list that includes the other Spanish languages - but this is too big to attach.)

Barrie

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:02:57 pm by Barrie » Logged
Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

Cómpeta - Axarquía - Málaga

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:41:44 am »

Thank you very much Barrie. This is very useful.

:D  :D

Saludos
Petrea

Barrie

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 03:30:49 pm »

You are very welcome Petrea, and from the number of times they have been downloaded it looks as if others have found them of interest, and hopefully sometimes useful too!

I forgot to say that if anyone wants the full list with the other Spanish languages included, they are welcome but since it is too big to attach to a posting to the Forum, they will have to e-mail me.

Barrie
Steve Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 10:23:25 pm »

There is also a good online list of English to Spanish birds in taxanomic order,

http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~ian/Spain/Text/gbes.txt

Steve
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 12:39:44 pm »

Thanks Steve, the list has been posted on the main website so members can download it as a 'one' complete list. Very useful I hope for all.

Peter

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
Steve25

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 11:49:17 pm »

Thanks Barrie for your very useful spreadsheets. Alphabetical order is definitely my preference too.

Steve Powell
Barrie

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 12:49:26 am »

Regrettably I think this exposes one of the problems.

So often things are written and decided by experts for experts.

The new publication that is shortly to be put out highlights this.

While there has been much "contemplating of navels" about what  the cover picture should be, there has been absolutely no debate about the order of the entries i.e. taxonomic order or alphabetical order.

The experts know the taxonomic order so have assumed that is how it should be (despite the fact that the taxonomic order keeps changing as more is known, from for instance DNA, about the true relationships).

Non-experts such as myself who do not know the taxonomic order will not find that very useful as the only way we can look things up is alphabetically.

Regrettably ABS money is being spent on something that, for some members at least, is not as useful as it could be.

I just hope the content material will be made available as a spreadsheet so that I (amongst others) can re-order it in a way that is useful to me, and then print that out and replace the content pages with something that will meet my needs.

Barrie
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 09:16:04 am by Barrie » Logged
Steve Fletcher

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 01:28:11 am »

I am no expert by any means, but taxonomic order is followed by all good field guides, so why change a recognised and well documented order, and you will soon get the hang of finding anything. An alphabetical list would not be without its pitfalls, for example, would you put Corn Bunting, or Bunting,Corn ?

Excel to me is a real minefield, and i wouldnt know where to start, i dont even have Excel on my PC, probably the same as many others, each to their own i suppose, but in my opinion a well tried and tested, and universally accepted method of categorising birds is already in existence, so why change it ?

There is nothing whatsoever stoppng you from writing your own list in whatever order and format you seem fit.

Steve
Barrie

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 09:08:55 am »

Because it is not meant to be a Field Guide. And in any case, field guides have an alphabetical index in the back.

It was said originally that it would be useful for translations between English and Spanish and vice versa.

If I am talking to a Spaniard and want to look up the English name of some Spanish bird he has told me about, since I do not know what it is I cannot possibly know where in a taxonomic order it might come. However in a Spanish alhabetical list I can find it immediately. (No problems of order in Spanish where the adjective follows the noun - and theEnglish  alphabetically ordered spreadsheets that I posted also follow that convention.)

The fact that you do not have Excel is irrelevant. You could get a free Excel reader if you wanted (but don't). Many of us do have Excel (or an Excel compatable program such as Open Office so COULD, if we are so motivated, produce pages in the order we want.

I think you have highlighted to need for two versions - taxonomic ordert, or aphabetic order, with the ability to choose which you receive when placing an order. (And incidentally, taxonomic order in which field guide? They are not all the same because it changes.)

Barrie
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 09:27:11 am by Barrie » Logged
Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 10:46:37 am »

Will the new publication be avaiable electronically to download?

If so, then it may be possible to import it into Excel. And of course the other way is possible: saving the content of the spreadsheet as, say, a text file.

another Excel fan,
Petrea

Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 05:53:50 pm »

There would also seem, to use a phrase previously mentioned, to be much contemplation of navels here, if you care to look around the main website you will easily find an alphabetical list for download and printing related to our birds here in Andalucia. Easy if you look. To save trouble I give you the link here:

http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/the-society-bird-list.html

I hope this might be of use now as it has been since the beginning of last year.

Peter

Peter

Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 06:51:37 pm »

Thanks for the link Peter!

I'm sorry to admit that I do not find it easy to find things on the ABS website!  :(  Thus, I was looking in vain for the list you mentioned above in the answer to Steve.  :o

Is it just me who haven't got used to it?  :'(

Saludos
Petrea

Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 07:02:28 pm »

Lol Petrea  ;), I am sure like many things on the web, it is a case of getting used to it. ???

Actually it is the first item listed under 'resources' at the top lefthand side of the front page. Of course some would say it should be more prominent, put a button specifically for it etc., etc. But the truth is we cannot give every subject high prominence or a main menu button. Like every website, the more you use it, look around, then the easier it all becomes and better you get at finding specific items. If all else fails, I am never far away to give help if needed.

Peter

Peter

Steve25

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 09:09:55 pm »

Hallo Peter, I have found the ABS list very useful but Barrie's spreadsheets have the added benefit of three-way translations in alphabetical order from either English, Spanish, or scientific, whichever you need. Very useful when a Spanish birder is trying to tell you what he or she has seen.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  Publications and Multimedia  |  Publications and Multimedia  |  Birding software & Internet  |  Topic: Bird names translations « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length