Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2019, 08:19:52 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Other Wildlife  |  Other Wildlife  |  Wildflowers  |  Topic: First orchid of the season? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First orchid of the season?  (Read 5545 times)
Kevin Wade
ABS Member

« on: December 09, 2011, 08:23:08 pm »

Took these photographs this evening of an Ophrys fusca.  There were quite a few plants close by almost in flower too.

* Ophrys-fuscus5.jpg (80.57 kB, 1000x667 - viewed 507 times.)

* Ofuscus2.jpg (114.42 kB, 800x1000 - viewed 492 times.)

* Ofuscus3.jpg (98.08 kB, 800x1200 - viewed 497 times.)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 05:42:14 pm by Kevin Wade » Logged

Kevin
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:27:25 pm »

Great Kevin, we did look around the area near to Zahara during today's field meeting without success, so congratulations. Nice photographs.

Peter

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
Mick
ABS Member

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:06:20 pm »

Hi Kevin.

The fusca type found this late/early in Malaga and Granada Provinces has now been given the name Ophrys malacitana according to Lowe. If you do a search there is a paper by Michael Lowe on the fusca subject somewhere on the net. They have been separated on size and because of the pollinator insect?? Beyond me!!!

Mick.

Mick Richardson, Birds, Butterflies, Dragonflies, Orchids and Wildflowers in Granada Province and beyond!

www.granadawildlife.com    THE WORK SITE.
www.lojawildlife.com        THE BLOG.
mickbirdinginspain@gmail.com      THE EMAIL.
Kevin Wade
ABS Member

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 01:37:05 pm »

Thanks for that Mick - will take a look.  It certainly is a complicated group!

Kevin
Brenda
Supporting ABS
ABS Member

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 01:47:06 pm »

I can't believe you have found an orchid already...

Great photos.

Brenda

Mick
ABS Member

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 03:04:46 pm »

Hi Brenda.

Been out looking and have found masses of leaves ready for next year but its to dam cold here for much to grow yet. I have not seen these early Fusca yet so need a site if possible Kevin. Mail me direct if easier.

Thanks Mick.

Mick Richardson, Birds, Butterflies, Dragonflies, Orchids and Wildflowers in Granada Province and beyond!

Kevin Wade
ABS Member

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 10:58:59 pm »

Just received an email from Michael Lowe confirming that it looks good for Ophrys malacitana!!  They are know to occur in the area and have also been recorded in Mijas in December.  Thanks Mick.

Kevin
Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

Cómpeta - Axarquía - Málaga

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 02:18:33 pm »

I found an Ophrys fusca yesterday here in Sierra Almijara, alt. ca 500 m. Not quite in flower yet, I have to admit, but within a week, I believe!

Saludos
Petrea

Mick
ABS Member

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 09:40:14 pm »

Hi Kevin and Petrea.

I did not get down as far as Mabella but picked up a couple of plants of malacitana near Coin, in Malaga Province. It was very windy and shaded so the shots I got were not good. Petrea I am guessing that the plant you have seen is in Granada Province?

Mick.

* 21st-Dec-11-1.jpg (61.66 kB, 450x600 - viewed 489 times.)

Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

Cómpeta - Axarquía - Málaga

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 10:28:57 pm »

No, we are in Málaga, but the far eastern end. Granada is on the other side of the Almijaras, to the north and east. It was close to Frigiliana, a bit higher up in the nature park.

Petrea

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Other Wildlife  |  Other Wildlife  |  Wildflowers  |  Topic: First orchid of the season? « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length