Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 19, 2019, 06:52:05 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: Field Meeting - 31st March 2012 « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Field Meeting - 31st March 2012  (Read 18766 times)
Scot Penny
ABS Member

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 04:19:45 pm »

Sounds good, If I'm going, I might as well go for the three days.  What is the hotel like and will it be far from the two day trips?

Valerie

( Very new member!)
Barrie

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 11:53:27 am »

Since they are in the same areas as last year (around 40 km south and east of Ubeda), the extra two days are a long way from the ABS Field Day around Hotel Los Pinos (from the hotel to Ubeda is around 90km and, since the roads are not the best, the drive will take nearly an hour and three-quarters!).

Unfortunately therefore, we have decided we will not go to them but will stay over to look at the country around the Hotel on the Sunday.

As I have explained previously, we will be in a Motorhome and SmartCar so will need to hope some kind person will have spare seats in their 4x4 on the Saturday please.

Barrie
hollyg

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 09:23:59 pm »

Just so that everyone is aware, Los Pinos only take bookings for 2 days at the weekend and they only reply to emails in Spanish. It is very easy to find, on the main road from Andujar to the Sanctuario but quite a distance from Andujar. I can recommend the Villa Mathilde if you prefer a quiet, friendly casa rurales.
 We are going to be there the weekend before so I can post any significant sightings we have if people feel that would be helpful.
Last year we had lynx sightings nearly every day, but you do have to be lucky, and lots of lovely birds.
Barrie

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 11:39:37 pm »

Hi Holly

We will be in a motorhome and will be hoping to find the lynx on the Sunday. Any pointers on where to go in order to have the best chance would be very welcome.

See you there.

Barrie
Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

Cómpeta - Axarquía - Málaga

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 07:44:22 am »

There is another hotel in  Virgin de la Cabeza,  Hotel Sierra de Andujar. It can be booked through www.booking.com (which I can recommend).

Petrea
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 09:28:41 pm by Petrea » Logged

Pepe Fer
ABS Member

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 09:06:46 pm »

Hola, estaré en Hotel los Pinos a las 9.00 horas para pasar el día con vosotros. No iré a las excursiones de los dias posteriores ya que tengo que marchar a Sevilla el domingo 1 de abril.

Saludos

Pepe Ferrera
jose
ABS Member

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 07:23:40 pm »

Hello,

I'm going to try to clarify some questions you are asking re accommodation, optional Extra one-day trip...

1. How to get there?

All the links are ok. You have to "copy" and then "Paste and go" in your navigation bar. Don't link directly.

Nevertheless I'm going to let you How to get Los Pinos Complex Hotel:

Take motorway A4 (Madrid - Córdoba; also known as N-IV).
On the A4 take the exit Andújar and Santuario Nuestra Señora de la Cabeza (exit number 321).
At first roundabout go straight ahead. After 100 metres there is a second roundabout. Go right in the direction of Las Viñas and Santuario Nuestra Señora de la Cabeza (A-6177).
After 14. 2 km on this road you can see on your right hand the restaurant called Los Pinos.

2. Another Accommodation in the area:

Sierra Luna Rural Hostelry. 7 modern wooden cabins available for rent year round. The cabins have one or two bedrooms, a kitchen/living room area and a bathroom.
The kitchen/living room area has a heating/air-conditioning unit, refrigerator, vitroceramic stove, table and chairs.
Each bedroom has a closet, bed(s) and night table(s).
Then bathrooms have hot-water showers. Handicapped-accesible bathrooms are available upon request.

http://www.sierraluna.com/index.php?lang=english

3. Optional Extra One-day trip:

The extra day trips are in Sierra Mágina N. P. and Cazorla N. P.

Someone of you went there last year. I don't know if somebody in this meeting, have never been there, for example because is a new member, or any reason.

The question is there are not other places in or near Sierras de Andújar Natural Park, and do an extra day-trip in Andújar could be not many interestig, as we can`t move (drive, walking), only a few paths are public.

This is the question I thought could be better Mágina and Cazorla. Apart from this, we will go to visit different areas, it won't be the same as the last year.

Time from Andújar (Los Pinos) to Mágina is 1 h 40 min.

Time from Andújar (Los Pinos) to Cazorla is 1 h 50 min.

4. At the moment, I don't know how many people are going to come to Andújar and I don't know either, how many people are interested in which extra-day trip.

Please, let me know about this question and anything else you need.

Best regards.

José Luis.

Toots
ABS Member

Keen and gaining expertise slowly

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 10:08:56 pm »

Jose Luis,
Bob & I will be going; we are booked into the hotel Los Pinos (for 1 night) but we will not be doing the extra days, thank you.

At the moment I don't know of anyone else going to Andujar, other than the people who have posted here. None of the other committee members are free to go.
If more people are going - please post, to let Jose Luis have an idea of numbers.

Ellie
Scot Penny
ABS Member

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 02:05:53 pm »

>:( :-[

Why do family have a keen desire to spoil the party?  No chance of getting away to the filed meeting now as they are arriving on the 27th March and staying for a week.

Saw lovely Bonelli's Eagle nesting yesterday!!! ;D

Cheers...have a lovely time!

Valerie
Barrie

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 08:44:30 pm »

Just so that everyone is aware, Los Pinos only take bookings for 2 days at the weekend and they only reply to emails in Spanish. It is very easy to find, on the main road from Andujar to the Sanctuario but quite a distance from Andujar. I can recommend the Villa Mathilde if you prefer a quiet, friendly casa rurales.
 We are going to be there the weekend before so I can post any significant sightings we have if people feel that would be helpful.
Last year we had lynx sightings nearly every day, but you do have to be lucky, and lots of lovely birds.
Did you see any Lynx last weekend?

We are at the Hotel Los Pinos right now and hope to look for Lynx on Sunday. Any recommendations on where to go?

Regards

Barrie

P.S. Just met Ellie. She and Bob saw a Hawfinch by the Visitor Centre earlier this evening.
Barrie

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 10:34:47 am »

Well what a wonderful day, thank you José Luis.

We did not see a huge number of species (around 30 by our count) but that was because we spent such a long time watching the Lynx.

Both were spotted initially by Ellie.

In the morning, we watched one eating a rabbit and then moving off a little way to bask in the sun, and in the afternoon we watched one, obviously well fed-up, basking for about three hours.

We had been told there was a red deer carcase nearby on which two lynx were photographed feeding on Friday, so on Sunday Jan and I went back to that spot. By watching from a bit further before the summit of the road, we were able to see the carcase (it had been hidden from view from where we were on Saturday) and we then realised that the lynx we saw then was dozing only ten metres or so from it!

On Sunday we saw the other lynx (its ear tufts were distinctly different) very well hidden down near the river (see photo).

So much to our surprise we saw 3 lynx over the two days! (A Spaniard we talked to on Sunday said he had visited the park 8 times to look for lynx, seven times without success but then four in one day including one crossing the bridge near the dam!)

We stayed overnight by the dam and by 11am on Monday morning as we left we saw that the carcase had been removed (presumably by the park rangers whose house was on the hill nearby).

On the birding front, the highlights for us were Spanish Imperial Eagles, black storks nesting, and black vultures.

So many thanks once again José Luis,

Barrie

* ScreenHunter_0001 10.25 Apr. 03.jpg (101.84 kB, 525x461 - viewed 507 times.)

* ScreenHunter_0002 10.29 Apr. 03.jpg (62.16 kB, 396x326 - viewed 497 times.)
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 08:48:07 pm »

Sounds like everyone had a great time, seeing the Lynx must have been very exciting. Well done Jose and such a shame I could not attend, next time!

Peter

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
jose
ABS Member

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 09:07:42 pm »

Thank you at all. We had a great day. Not especially with birds, although we saw a spanish imperial eagle just when we arrive at our first birding observation point.

A Booted eagle, Goshawk, and another Spanish imperial with a snake hanging on its talons. Pepe saw an Alpine swift, and Sardinian warblers, Dartford warblers and Crested tit were around the bushes all the time.

But obviously, the star was the Lynx. Only 45 min. later or so, Elli saw the elusive feline down in the valley. Was eating its breakfast (a rabbit which it had just hunt).

Three hours later, we drove to La Lancha reservoir in the Jándula river. We spent the time looking for others species. We saw three Black stork in a Cliff next to the reservoir. A pair is nesting there since several years.

Just in the wall of the dam, a lot of House martins and Crag martins were flying around, and building their nests.

I begun to throw out little pieces of paper, and immediately, fly to catch the paper. Then Bob did the same with cotton. All of us enjoyed with these funny birds.

We saw a Blue rock thrush too in that place.

We ate our pic nic lunch by the Jándula river, next to the Encinarejo reservoir. We saw a Night heron flying up to the river.

I was looking for a pair of Golden eagle wich are breeding in that area, when again, Elli's keen eye, found another Lynx. Then we spent all the time watching this cat (called "Cuco"). Finally, there were around twenty people watching the Lynx.

I'd like you to meet "Cuco".

* Lynx02.jpg (259.71 kB, 800x539 - viewed 511 times.)
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 09:45:21 am »

Wonderful Jose and thank you again for making the day so memorable for our fellow members. Love the photograph.

Peter

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
jerry
ABS Member

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2012, 08:25:44 am »

wish we could have been there to see the lynx .
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: Field Meeting - 31st March 2012 « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length