Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 19, 2019, 07:16:27 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  General Information Wanted  |  Topic: Lesser Flamingoes - Fuente de Piedra « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lesser Flamingoes - Fuente de Piedra  (Read 4381 times)
Barrie

« on: April 09, 2012, 11:06:21 am »

We visited Fuente de Piedra in September last hoping to see the Lesser Flamingos but were told by the rangers that they were no longer there.

I see that they  were seen on the ABS Field Day in January so my question is "Do they migrate or were they there all the time and we were misinformed?"

We hope to visit Fuente de Piedra later this month (21/22 April) while on our way to DoƱana.

Is it likely the Lesser Flamingos will be there then?

Are there any particular spots we should look please? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Barrie
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:35:34 am by Barrie » Logged
Mick
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 08:51:40 pm »

Hi Barrie.

They are paired up and should still be about (7 in all). I see them from the back of the main visitors centre from under the oak tree usually off to the left. Some photo's on the blog below from a visit I made a couple of weeks ago.

Mick.

www.lojawildlife.com

Mick Richardson, Birds, Butterflies, Dragonflies, Orchids and Wildflowers in Granada Province and beyond!

www.granadawildlife.com    THE WORK SITE.
www.lojawildlife.com        THE BLOG.
mickbirdinginspain@gmail.com      THE EMAIL.
Barrie

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:19:44 am »

Thanks Mick, a very interesting blog.

I presume (re Lesser Flamingos) you mean your 18 March blog?

In it you said that after visiting Fuente de Piedra (main visitor center I presume?) "We then made our way across country to Laguna Dulce, on the way we called at a viewing point above the Eastern shore of the main lagoon ..."

I was aware of the viewpoint on the western side, but not this one on the eastern side. Can you give me any indication on how to find it please?

Thanks

Barrie
Mick
ABS Member

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 02:43:51 pm »

Hi Barrie.

Drop me an email and I will give you more info.

Mick.

mickbirdinginspain@gmail.com

Mick Richardson, Birds, Butterflies, Dragonflies, Orchids and Wildflowers in Granada Province and beyond!

www.granadawildlife.com    THE WORK SITE.
www.lojawildlife.com        THE BLOG.
mickbirdinginspain@gmail.com      THE EMAIL.
David
David

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 07:11:24 am »

Hi Barrie,

I was at Fuente briefly on Sunday, 15th April and Fuente de Piedra laguna was virtually empty of water and there were no flamingoes, of any species, present.

However, I did see two lesser flamingo there on 24th March.

David

David
Barrie

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 05:00:48 pm »

Just my luck (we will be there in 2 days time - on Saturday).

Any ideas where they will have gone?

When is the flamingos breeding season? Have they all fledged already?

Maybe we should go to Laguna Dulce instead?

Barrie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  General Information Wanted  |  Topic: Lesser Flamingoes - Fuente de Piedra « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length