Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2019, 04:19:59 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Andalucia Bird Society  |  Topic: Approved Guides « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Approved Guides  (Read 3665 times)
Eva Bratek

« on: August 06, 2012, 11:20:33 am »

Good mornig to all,

I have noticed on Facebook that there is a new initiative by ABS of the official certification for wildlife and walking guides.
I have a few questions about the initiative as it is relevant to what I do and  I am seriously interested in it:

- Has an email been sent about this to the paid members - it could be that I haven´t received it? It is quite possible that I missed it if so I would like to find it.
- What is the practical step-by-step process of being approved and who are the three members of ABS who are in charge of the procecess? Where can I find the exact info please on who makes the decisions and how?
- Is there an area restriction/suggestion of any kind?
- Is there a requirement of being registered as a business or a legal freelance guide? Spain? European Union?
- Is there a requirement to have valid insurance for the outings? If so, what amount has to be contracted as minimum?
- The introduction mentions walking guides but does not mention specific requirements for walking guides - what are they? (size of walking groups for example, how many customers per guide are suggested, walking guide´s code, etc?)
- As ABS is a birding society, who approves the walking guides?
- Who approves the wildlife (other than birds) part of a guide´s knowledge and ethics?
- Does ABS cooperate with any other organizations ( RSPB? Spanish?) on this certificate or is it a purely ABS certificate?

Appraciate the info  and thanks in advance

Eva M. Bratek
Walking and nature guide

Montejaque
-

"I believe that an orderly universe, one indifferent to human preoccupations, in which everything has an explanation even if we still have a long way to go before we find it, is a more beautiful, more wonderful place than a universe tricked out with capricious ad hoc magic."
- Richard Dawkins
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:09:38 pm »

What is the new initiative by ABS on facebook? ABS, as far as I am aware has no ‘official’ presence on facebook. I set-up a page way back and long ago. However, the header makes it clear it is not an official page of ABS. Although a link is given both ways from facebook to the website and vice versa, perhaps these should be removed?

As you are aware Eva, I am no longer able to either act or answer in any official capacity. The committee has changed and so too responsibilities. I imagine the new committee has its hands full with forging a way forward for the society and no doubt fresh ideas on new and old aspects of the society. I had been heavily involved in the set-up of the society from the beginning, including the website.  Now I am just an ordinary member, like you, but if it is helpful I can assist with the past structures of the scheme, which the new committee may well change, and answer you privately by email. Please do contact me if you think I might be able to help with your inquiries, however I can only answer based on my past experience and not what the society has in mind for the future.

Peter

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
Eva Bratek

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 08:39:21 pm »

Hello Peter,

Thanks for answering my post.

I know you are an ordinary member now, so I posted this question in general to ABS and not to you personally, hence "Good morning to all "- I know that  the comitee has changed.

The ABS Approved Guide  logo showed up in association with the new Facebook page of Andalucian Bird Guides. I expressed my interest in such an idea and  one of the members very kindly answered my questions and explained it was a group of birding  businesses, nothing to do with ABS.

However,  I have noticed the ABS Approved logo on people´s websites, including the profiles of Andalucian Bird Guides and I wondered how this worked. I wanted to know more about the certificate and looked it up on ABS website.

I can see now that the Approved Guides page on ABS website dates back to 2010. Is 2010 when the idea was created? Was it discussed at an AGM?
If such a certificate still exists (and from the Andalucian Bird Guides page I assume it does) who would be the best person to answer my questions as far as the current status of this idea is concerned? I pretty much would like to know about the practicalities I mentioned in my original post.

As far as the links to Facebook page of ABS -  I really don´t know - maybe all the members can vote on this? Personally as a member I am not bothered about it and I think it is clear that it is not intended as an official FB page for ABS as it says so in big red print.

Eva

"I believe that an orderly universe, one indifferent to human preoccupations, in which everything has an explanation even if we still have a long way to go before we find it, is a more beautiful, more wonderful place than a universe tricked out with capricious ad hoc magic."
- Richard Dawkins
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Andalucia Bird Society  |  Topic: Approved Guides « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length