Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2019, 04:24:03 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Other Wildlife  |  Other Wildlife  |  Wildflowers  |  Topic: Is this an Orchid? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this an Orchid?  (Read 2640 times)
David
David

« on: March 26, 2013, 07:50:40 pm »

Brenda,

This is the flower that I mentioned at the weekend.  Can you please identify it?

I found it growing on my local patch at about 200 metres above sea level and about 1 kilometre from the sea.  It seemed to be happy growing in bare, fine gravel areas as well as in grassy areas.

David

* IMG_20130320_184548a.jpg (77.81 kB, 800x600 - viewed 371 times.)

David
Brenda
Supporting ABS
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:37:08 pm »

Hello David,

No, it's not an orchid, it's a Barbary Nut iris, Gynandriris sisyrinchium. An easy mistake to make. It's a very pretty flower. If you are wearing light coloured trousers and you walk amongst them, they will stain your legs blue! It does wash out though...

Brenda

David
David

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 04:15:44 pm »

Thank you Brenda.

Do they have a short flowering life?  I went back today to see them (one week later) and they have gone.

David

David
Brenda
Supporting ABS
ABS Member

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 05:32:00 pm »

The individual blooms are short-lived...but with a bit of warm sunshine and dry weather they should come back again, as they flower on and off for weeks usually.

Brenda

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Other Wildlife  |  Other Wildlife  |  Wildflowers  |  Topic: Is this an Orchid? « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length