Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2019, 01:06:12 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Tips For New & 'Old' Birders  |  Topic: Feeding birds in my garden near Mijas « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feeding birds in my garden near Mijas  (Read 3972 times)
TandA
ABS Member

« on: May 13, 2013, 05:31:14 pm »

Can anyone offer tips for feeding birds in my garden. I have many sparrows, some nesting blackbirds and various small shy birds that I have yet to identify. In the hope of getting some photos I set out some fatballs and these were rapidly demolished by sparrows who learned to hang like Bluetits to feed. I made some peanut feeders that were hugely popular with tits in the UK but so far have been avoided by any of the birds in my garden near Mijas. Do they not like peanuts (unsalted variety)? I also put out bowls of water in the dry periods.
Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

Cómpeta - Axarquía - Málaga

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 06:54:27 pm »

I think that you are experiencing the same as I did, both here in Andalucia and back in Denmark: under normal circumstances healthy wild birds prefer to find their own food! They know what is good for them.

Under extreme conditions, such as heavy snowfall, they may appreciate a helping hand.

Many of the small unidentified birds are likely to eat insects only!

Now, the water is the best option, preferably available at all times, so the birds know that they can rely on it. The small bowls offered by garden centers will run dry very fast. A blackbird splashing while enjoying a bath and it is neary empty, and the strong sun will do the rest in no time.

How about nesting boxes? Have a look at:

http://www.weboryx.com/oryx/faces/es/jsf/buscador.jsp?q=caja+de+nido&qr=1&rs=1

Good luck
Petrea

PS: have you got Aloe arborescens in your garden? Chiffchaffs and blackcaps like the nectar:
https://picasaweb.google.com/104328707567851681445/AvesBirds#5619597703447222530
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:08:05 pm by Petrea » Logged

David
David

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 11:33:25 pm »

In Spain there is never really a shortage of food but there is of water.  So a good and constant supply of water will attract birds.

A friend of mine has also found cutting a pomegranate in half and hanging it up (cut part facing upwards) attracts Sardinian Warblers.  He has also had success with raisons.  Meal worms are also quite an attraction.

David

David
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  Tips For New & 'Old' Birders  |  Topic: Feeding birds in my garden near Mijas « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length