Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 19, 2019, 11:11:08 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  General Information Wanted  |  Topic: Birding around Granada « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Birding around Granada  (Read 5169 times)
RichardTT

« on: November 16, 2013, 12:54:24 am »

Hi,
 I am visiting my daughter  next week in Granada and never travel without bins and scope. Are there any worthwhile birding locations  I can visit close to/near by to catch up with a general spread of birds or indeed specialities or any must see sites near by? I take it that I will be too early for any chance of Wallcreeper on the Alhambra :0) although I had a Blue Rock Thrush on the Watch Tower on my last visit in September also the path alongside the river in  the Albayzin looks tempting, I had some passage through that area. I am staying  in the centre of Granada from the 20th to the 27th Nov so if anybirders fancy beer and tapas in return for gen then feel free to contact.
Best Wishes
Richard
Derbyshire UK
Mick
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 08:44:50 pm »

Hi Richard.

A Wallcreeper at the Alhambra would be very nice indeed but only in my dreams!!!!

Anyway the gardens around the Alhambra and down to the City are well worth checking out for Thrushes, Hawfinch, Firecrest and many other woodland species. Just to the South east of the Alhambra is a cemetery, do not go in there but follow the track passed the entrance and out on to some hill side pine woodland, also worth a look. If you’re hiring a car then just to the south there are the Padul wetlands and down on the coast near Mortil the Charca Del Suarez nature reserve. Padul can be reached by bus but Charca is more difficult.
Again in a car Sierra Nevada and Sierra Huétor are both good. There are also a couple of lakes on the roads to the East of the City up the Dudar Valley (NO it is a real place) and on the low cliffs around the lake you can pick up Alpine Accentor during the winter.
Have a look at my blog (www.lojawildlife.com) and this will give you more info.

All the best Mick.

Mick Richardson, Birds, Butterflies, Dragonflies, Orchids and Wildflowers in Granada Province and beyond!

www.granadawildlife.com    THE WORK SITE.
www.lojawildlife.com        THE BLOG.
mickbirdinginspain@gmail.com      THE EMAIL.
RichardTT

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 12:23:28 am »

Thank you Mick for your quick response it is much appreciated as well as the link to your web site.

We will have a car so will give the sites you suggest a go and see what we can connect with. Derbyshire is  forecast snow this week on the tops and I see Granada is dipping to minus 4 during our stay so will chuck in a fleece and coat, it will just be like home:0) I  did not need the extra layers  in September.

I am certainly  looking forward to birding in some good light and different habitats. Is there much visual migration still over Granada at this time of the year or has it slowed up?

I will put any sightings we see up on the forum.
Best Wishes

Richard
Mick
ABS Member

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 07:20:08 pm »

Hi Richard.

The migration has pretty much passed now, however I did get a couple of Black Storks moving along the coast near Nejar a couple of days ago and there have been a few Griffon Vulture passing over the house.
The winter visitors are in with our local Little Bustard flock numbering around 200 and the Stone Curlews getting up to around 600. We have a small number of Black-winged Kites about, a few Hen Harriers and good numbers of other wintering birds including Alpine Accentors and Ring Ouzels.

Enjoy your trip, Mick.

Mick Richardson, Birds, Butterflies, Dragonflies, Orchids and Wildflowers in Granada Province and beyond!

RichardTT

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 12:35:15 am »

Hi Mick,  I thought I would be on the tail end of any movement. Our winter specialities have turned up today with both Glaucous Gull and Iceland Gull in our local Derbyshire gull roosts coming in on this fresh northerly wind which also brought our first snow of the winter. However I am looking forward to some winter birding in new locations over the next few days. So eyes to the skies!
Best Wishes & Good Birding
Richard
RichardTT

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 02:05:31 am »

Hi Mick and fellow birders, So far having an enjoyable trip.

Thursday explored the Dudar Valley and drove the tracks in the Area Recreativa Aguas Blancas and beyond which was very interesting. Highlights in no particular order: Crags Martin, Redwing, Dartford Warbler, Sardinian Warbler, Black Redstart (m&f) Hawfinch,  Rock Bunting, Serin and a covey of 8 Red Legged Partridge. Mammals: Red Squirrel and a family party of three very approachable Chamois.

Friday went up to the Sierra Nevada, right at the top, and, in the driving snow, had 2 Crossbills and 3 Alpine Accentors with 10 Rock Dove and 30+ House Sparrow.

In the afternoon went to Bobadilla and scanned the maize fields which produced 15+ Cattle Egret, two parties of 10+ Crested Lark, Meadow Pipit (2), at least 500 Woodpigeon, Stonechat, Black Redstart, Kestrel and Buzzard. In the same area, along the old road close to the Puleva Dairy, we birded the canalised drainage channel which was alive with Chiffchaff (50+), Cetti's Warbler (3) , Grey Wagtail (3) and Robin (c5). This channel looks worthy of  further investigation. The day was topped off with 6 Common Cranes, which, although harried by c50 Jackdaw, dropped in briefly amongst the maize stubble before leaving at 1700hrs high to the W. So not a bad start!! Cheers Richard Taylor and Steve Brayshaw
Mick
ABS Member

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 09:44:02 am »

Hi Richard.

Would interested in a more accurate location (if possible) on the Cranes as this is a good record and a Spanish friend of mine would find it useful.

Mick

RichardTT

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 01:28:47 am »

Hi Mick, Herewith the location details and ''record shot'' of the 6 Cranes yesterday.

* Common Crane Bobadilla.pdf (265.65 kB - downloaded 252 times.)
Mick
ABS Member

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 10:47:33 pm »

Hi Richard.

Thanks for the info and the record is already on my good friend Juans site at http://cuaderno-campo.blogspot.com.es/

This morning possible had one of the bird stray on to my local patch near the house.

Thanks again Mick.

* 25th-Nov-13-1.jpg (7.73 kB, 900x729 - viewed 389 times.)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  General Information Wanted  |  Topic: Birding around Granada « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length