Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 19, 2019, 11:14:43 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  General Information Wanted  |  Topic: Laguna De Medina « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laguna De Medina  (Read 6095 times)
Laurie

« on: January 16, 2014, 08:39:37 pm »

Could anyone please tell me if there any White Headed Ducks on the Laguna at the present time? I visited in September there were hardly any water fowl and was told that the Carp had retuned and caused the problems of a few years ago. I am visiting Spain again in a few weeks and would go to visit if the situation has changed.
David
David

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 02:55:43 pm »

Hi Laurie

I am not sure about Laguna Medina but there are White-headed Duck on Laguna Dulce near Campillos. Where is your base when you come to Spain?

David

David
Laurie

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 10:34:16 pm »

Thanks David. We shall be based in Tarifa.
Laurie
john
ABS Member

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 11:05:42 am »

The situation at Laguna de Medina is worrying and, like Laurie, I didn't find the usual number of wildfowl there when I visited in September 2013.  However, there remain several sites in Cadiz province where the species can be found -   Lagunas de Espera, Lagunas de Puerto Real, Laguna de Tarelo (although it was in a sorry state when I last visited), Laguna de Paja (near Chiclana), ‘Bonanza Pools’ (see my notes) and elsewhere.   If you're not sure where any of these sites are then please download my detailed site guide via my website - http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com or send me a PM with your email address so I can send you a copy.   
mike in Jerez
ABS Member

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:35:05 pm »

Hi Laurie,
There were no White-headed Duck on the laguna this morning and the warden has not seen any since he saw 7 in December. There are plenty of gulls however and not much else at the moment.!
 You can also try Los Tollos near El Cuervo, just about 20 kms north of Jerez on the Sevilla road. (see www.lagunadelostollos.com )
cheers
Mike
Laurie

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 06:11:22 pm »

Thank you both John & Mike. The information is very helpful. Now we just need the sun to shine in February.
Laurie
john
ABS Member

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 09:00:22 pm »

Worrying that W-h Ducks are so scarce there this winter.  I assume that there were few coots too, Mike. 
mike in Jerez
ABS Member

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 06:11:57 pm »

There were a few John. Much more variety on the little laguna on the Trebujena road which is more accessible. There is a huge number of coots at los Tollos.
john
ABS Member

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 10:43:09 pm »

Interesting. I assume the first site you mention is what I call Mesas de Asta marsh (see map below from my notes).  It's a terrific little site and often comes up trumps where other, better known sites fail.  I remember reading some time ago that the owners, some food conglomerate, were going to make it into a reserve .....  Tollos (again see my map below) is a sad story and i gather restoration work has been delayed (although you'll know more than me) so it's good to here it has so many Coot.  I wonder if they're refugees from Medina and if any Crested Coot are hiding amongst them, John

* Map 10 - Mesas de Asta.png (105.63 kB, 932x630 - viewed 427 times.)

* Map 12 - L de los Tollos.png (33.13 kB, 800x670 - viewed 419 times.)
Barrysteel
ABS Member

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 07:43:42 pm »

I saw several White Headed ducks on Laguna de Tarelo (Sanlucar de Barrameda) a few weeks ago. Hopoe you manage to see some somewhere. Barry Steel
Laurie

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 08:12:11 pm »

Dear All who helped,
Just to say that my son and I got up to Laguna De Tarelo from Tarifa on February 20th and saw some White Headed Ducks. He had never seen one before so was very happy. Also impressed with the colony of Black Crowned Night Herons. Thanks for all the advice.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  General Information Wanted  |  Topic: Laguna De Medina « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length