Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2019, 05:03:47 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  General Information Wanted  |  Topic: advice re birding locations late Feb 2015 « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: advice re birding locations late Feb 2015  (Read 5431 times)
kathall1960

« on: January 12, 2015, 10:28:06 pm »

Hello,

My wife and I are keen birders and we will be based in Nerja for one week (Sun 22/2 to Sun 1/3). This is our first visit to the area so all locations will be new to us. Do you have any advice re the most favourable birding locations at this time of year (we will have transport)?

Thank you in advance,

Kathall1960
Brenda
Supporting ABS
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 01:12:59 pm »

Hello, and welcome.

I am afraid I don't know that area at all. There must be someone out there who can help please?

Brenda

Bob Wright
Bob Wright
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 03:13:48 pm »

16 January 2015

With regard to your stay in Nerja (and I note that you have your own transport) I can suggest the following three sites:

1.  Charca de Suarez, Motril
2.  Rio Velez, Torre del Mar
3.  Guadalhorce Reserve, Malaga

1. Charca de Suarez, Motril

A lovely, protected site on the western outskirts of Motril near Salobrena and can be reached in about 30 minutes from Nerja.  This is a fenced site and opens daily from  4 till 6pm in January and 5 till 7pm in February.  The site is also open on both Saturday and Sunday from 9am till 1pm.  Entry is free and the site has a number of lagoons plus ides.  Expect to find, in addition to the more common birds, Red-knobbed Coot, Purple Swamphen and a good chance of both Water Rail and Little Bittern.

Directions:  take motorway towards Motril and exit just after long tunnel  as you drive down a long slope signposted  for the port (Puerto).  Follow slip road and following roads until roundabout where you join the main link to the motorway.  Another 200 meters and a second roundabout under the old N340 coastal road.  Under the motorway and follow directions towards Puerto.  Just past a petrol station you will see some small traffic lights near the first buildings.  Turn right along a short road past a hotel where you turn right again.  Blocks  of apartments on the right including the "Motril Grand Hotel" and at the end of these blocks you will find the gated entrance.  You need to park on the rad outside.  Once inside you will find a wooden "shed" on the right that acts as a Reception.  On the fence outside (if closed) is a small box on a post contained free guides with a plan; help yourself and enjoy your visit.

2.  Rio Velez, Torre del Mar

Allow a couple of hours here.  Take motorway towards Malaga and come off at Torre del Mar, under motorway and head towards coast (you will be passing alongside the Eroski supermarket).  At the first junction turn right and head towards coast keeping to the right.  At then of the road follow the road round and you join the coastal road (N340) towards Malaga.  Stay on this dual carriageway till the end.  Immediately the road singles to cross the river bridge,turn tight and follow the track down between two bridges, under the road (safer to keep to the right as you pass under the bridge) and park as soon as you find the wide track a few metres further on.  From here simply walk to beach and back checking the river as you go including the lagoon next to the beach.  there is a small hide after about 300 metres.

3.  Guadalhorce, Malaga

Wonderful site and worth spending up to four hours here.  (See my blog re yesterday's visit where over 50 species were recorded including Booted Eagle, Osprey, Bluethroat and Penduline Tit: - http://birdingaxarquia2.blogspot.com).

Directions:  Take motorway to Malaga as if you were returning to airport.  As you leave to take the airport exit keep to the far right and drive down to the roundabout rather than up.  At the bottom round the roundabout under the motorway and take first exit towards Guadalmar.  After about 100 metres is a mini roundabout. Turn left here and rive towards the church on your left where you can park the car.  Continue to walk along this road, round the bend and with trees on your left and, eventually, a sports field behind the wall on your right.  At the end of the trees you will find a track leading up to the river bank.  Turn left and cross the footbridge to enter the reserve proper.  Look closely at the large white boulders that make up the bank on the right; Black Redstarts, Stonechats, Sardinian Warblers, Meadow Pipits, etc.There are five hides and I have attached a plan of the reserve to help you.

Good luck and enjoy your stay in Nerja.  make sure you visit the nearby caves at Maro.

Bob Wright
Membership Secretary

* Guadalhorce Map.doc (53.5 kB - downloaded 240 times.)

kathall1960

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 03:59:30 pm »

Hello Bob,

Grateful thanks for your advice, we certainly will visit those locations you suggest; hopefully enjoying better weather than we have here at the moment. I also wondered about making a longer trip something similar to the proposed ABS January field trip, would you think it worthwhile to do so?

Once again many thanks to you and also to Brenda for her response.

Allan and Kath Bailes
Peter
'Please support ABS'
Administrator

www.spanishnature.com

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 09:38:43 am »

Hi Allan and Kath,

For sure, a visit to Fuente de Piedra is well worth making an effort to visit. Cranes, Greater Flamingo and a host of other species can reward the journey. Some other areas too are good sites for birding such as the surrounding countryside around Osuna, reach by continuing on the motorway that links to Fuente de Piedra. Of course my own area Serrania de Ronda is also good to visit.

Hope this might encourage you to explore the province.

Peter

Peter
For great birding and wildlife tours.
www.worldwidebirdingtours.com

Articles are published on my blog: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com/
For day tours in 'my' area see: http://spanishnature.com/serrania-de-ronda.html
kathall1960

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 07:08:37 pm »

Hi Peter,

Thanks once again for the advice, we shall certainly give it a go.

Best wishes,

Allan
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Birding forum  |  General Information Wanted  |  Topic: advice re birding locations late Feb 2015 « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length