Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2019, 05:15:03 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: Thanks for a great field meeting at Tarifa « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thanks for a great field meeting at Tarifa  (Read 2454 times)
Linda
ABS Member

« on: September 19, 2015, 10:00:50 pm »

Fabulous field meeting from Tarifa today. I guess my best birds were 3 large flocks of  Black  Storks ,close views of an Egyptian Vulture, Black-winged Kites, Honey Buzzards, a Little Bittern, Squacco Heron, and Wood Sandpiper. I could mention Montague Harrier and lots of raptors ,etc. but I know Frank is going to write a full report. I have been to Tarifa / La Janda several times but the route we took today was the most varied, productive and enjoyable. Many thanks to Frank and Derek for guiding us and for a great day's birding. I know Bob's group also enjoyed their day. Linda
Bob Wright
Bob Wright
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 04:20:14 pm »

For we 13 who traversed La Janda followed by Barbate the very strong winds restricted sightings of many of the smaller birds but we did get very close views of a Golden eagle, Short-toed and Booted eagles.  Also good numbers of White Storks and Glossy Ibis.  Up to a dozen Spoonbills at Barbate along with a large flock of Audouin's Gulls were only surpassed when we , once again, found the marsh Sandpiper.  And nobody minds migrating Northern Wheatears and Whinchats. Travelling in the final car Terry and party were lucky to be the only observers of the sole Black-shouldered Kite but all of us enjoyed a lovely Montagu's Harrier and very many Marsh Harriers.  The final total of 51species was lower than expected but, perhaps, not given the continuing strong winds.

Our sightings included:
Red-legged Partridge
Pheasant
Cormorant
Cattle Egret
Little Egret
Heron
Glossy Ibis
White Stork
Spoonbill
Flamingo
Black-shouldered Kite
Black Kite
Golden Eagle
Short-toed eagle
Marsh Harrier
Montagu’s Harrier
Booted Eagle
Lesser Kestrel
Common Kestrel
Black-winged Stilt
Ringed Plover
Kentish Pover
Sanderling
Curlew
Redshank
Green Sandpiper
Marsh Sandpiper
Black-headed Gull
Audouin’s Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Yellow-legged Gull
Rock Dove
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove
Alpine Swift
Common Swift
Crested Lark
Barn Swallow
Yellow Wagtail  (Iberian)
Whinchat
Stonechat
Northern Wheatear
Reed Warbler
Jackdaw
Spotless Starling
House Sparrow
Serin
Goldfinch
Linnet
Corn Bunting

Thanks to Frank for arranging the day and I think we all had a most enjoyable visit.

Bob Wright
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 04:08:59 pm by Bob Wright » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: Thanks for a great field meeting at Tarifa « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length