Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2019, 08:25:31 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Welcome to The Andalucia Bird Society Forum... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org  Bienvenido/a al Foro de la Sociedad Ornitologica Andaluza ... www.andaluciabirdsociety.org

You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed Registration is FREE. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any difficulties registering on this Forum, please use this link for help http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/index.php/contact-abs

Para participar en el foro, antes es preciso registrarse, a traves del enlace de registro El registro es GRATIS. Para acceder a los mensajes, seleccione el foro que desea visitar, de la lista que hay a continuacion.

The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: Field meeting in Oct 2015 at the Odiel Marshes Huelva « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Field meeting in Oct 2015 at the Odiel Marshes Huelva  (Read 5439 times)
Franky no Hair
Frank Hair of Buitre birding Holidays
ABS Member

« on: July 06, 2015, 03:02:30 pm »

Event: Members Field Meeting. Odiel Marshes Nature Reserve.

Date: Saturday 24th of October 2015

Meeting Point: Car Park at the Visitor Centre (Grid Ref. 37.252557,-6.968267)

Time: 9.30 am prompt please.

Leader for the day: Manu Mojarro

Directions to the Meeting Point: The entrance to the Odiel Marshes Nature Reserve can be done from both ways of the motorway A497 Huelva-Punta Umbria.  If you are travelling from Huelva through the main bridge, take the first way out beyond the river, turn around using the roundabout and drive across over the motorway. You will find another roundabout to enter the reserve (1st way out). There is an alternative through the old bridge over the river Odiel which could be easier if you come from Doñana. Drive along the port of Huelva from South to North and take the bridge, you will reach the same roundabout (3rd way out to enter the reserve in this case). The grid ref. for the entrance is 37°16'13.11"N / 6°59'11.94"W.  That is clearer signposted from the motorway than from the old bridge. If you come on the way Punta Umbria-Huelva just take the way out before the bridge over the river Odiel to hit the entrance roundabout. Finally, if you come from the Western coast by the A49/N431, drive through Corrales to get at the mentioned roundabout.

Please notice that the area is signposted as “Dique Juan Carlos I” as well as “P.N. Marismas del Odiel”.

Clothing and Food: take with you field clothing according to the weather, sun protection if necessary (sun cream, hat or cap) and some water.

Please arrange your own packed lunch, although there are cafes and supermarkets in the nearest towns, Huelva and Corrales.

Information about the tour:  The Odiel Marshes Nature Reserve is the second largest wetland in Huelva province after Doñana and the most important tidal wetland in Spain.  This area was created by the silt of the rivers Odiel and Tinto in which estuary we can find a paradise for the birdlife. In addition, there is a wide history of civilizations that inhabited this “Kingdom of the Tide”.

Due to the importance of this area for birds and wildlife it deserved its declaration as Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO in 1983. Later the area has got new protection status like Ramsar Site and Special Protection Area for birds by the European Union. The marshes, lakes, mudflats and tidal channels are the best places where birds can be seen here.

We meet at the Visitor Centre to introduce the tour and walk by the surroundings to know the history and wildlife of the site. Then we have a comfort stop at the Centre and visit the interesting exhibition. After, we get on the vehicles to do a tour towards the South of the reserve. On the way, we can see the different habitats and how Man has changed the environment through millenniums. Natural and historical values of the area will be remarked as well as the local and global threats to this sensitive nature reserve.

After lunch at the picnic area of the Visitor Centre we visit the industrial salt-pans, the restricted area of the reserve to get the closest views of birds. Finally we move to the beach area to have a look at the fresh water lake of El Portil.

Accommodation in the area:

Affiliated member

Apartamentos Costa de la Luz

Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/costaluzapartments?sk=reviews&ref=hl
Tlf: (34)959314056   (34)615206150

Non-affiliated members (hopefully in the future)

Camping Playa La Bota

Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Camping-Playa-la-Bota/101546123353862
Tlf: (34)959314537

Hotel Islantilla Golf Resort

Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Islantilla-Golf-Resort/102387436485453
Tlf: (34) 959 204 500

Possible birds for the checklist:
Residents: Marsh Harrier, Spoonbill, Little Egret, Flamingo, Yellow-legged Gull, Hoopoe, Spanish Sparrow, Kentish Plover, Black-winged Stilt; Winter Birds: Great White Egret, Curlew Sandpiper, Dunlin, Gannet, Scoter, Great Cormorant, Pintail, Shoveler, Wigeon, Great White Egret, Osprey, Grey Plover, Bar-tailed Godwit, Black-tailed Godwit, Sanderling, Greenshank, Whimbrel, Audouin´s Gull, Sandwich Tern; Summer Birds: Osprey, Montagu´s Harrier, Purple Heron, Squacco Heron, Bee-eater, Little Bittern, Crested Coot, Little Tern, Black Tern, Collared Pratincole, Red-rumped Swallow, Reed Warbler; Migrants: Knot, Spotted Redshank, Common Tern, Artic Tern.

We will be looking for a member to wright a trip report for this meeting.
We are also looking for a member who could lead an other visit to this site during the following week.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:04:25 pm by Franky no Hair » Logged

For long weekends or just days birding come with me to this wonderful part of Spain visit my web site at http://www.birdinginspain.co.uk/
Franky no Hair
Frank Hair of Buitre birding Holidays
ABS Member

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 05:44:27 pm »

I had intended to do this trip on the 17th so that it would be in the same week as Bob's 4 day trip, but Manu could not make that weekend.
                                                                                  Have Fun Frank

For long weekends or just days birding come with me to this wonderful part of Spain visit my web site at http://www.birdinginspain.co.uk/
Linda
ABS Member

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 03:09:33 pm »

I am planning to attend this meeting. Linda
Linda
ABS Member

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 05:47:15 pm »

Hi Frank, I plan to go to this meeting. Linda
Ricky Owen
ABS Member

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 08:11:51 pm »

Hi Frank

My wife and i will be attendind this meeting

Ricky
Linda
ABS Member

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 09:14:16 am »

Hi Frank, Change of plans, I'm afraid. I will not be attending this meeting. Linda
Doñana Spoonbill Trips
ABS Member

Birdwatching & Wildlife Tours

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 02:05:02 pm »

Hi my friends,

I see this meeting has not attracted much interest! Only one couple so far! It sounds like a better idea to go for a June trip next year as in previous years.

I am looking forward to meeting up with the Owens on Saturday.

Regards,

Ricky Owen
ABS Member

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 10:47:31 pm »

Hi Manu
See you Saturday , I'm praying for good weather LOL

Ricky
lindsayfergu
ABS Member

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 11:59:37 am »

Hi, my wife and I have just joined. We are Lindsay and Liz Ferguson.
We are coming on Saturday.

Doñana Spoonbill Trips
ABS Member

Birdwatching & Wildlife Tours

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 10:12:02 am »

Wonderful! I am taking three more friends with me.

See you all tomorrow!

Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza

Cómpeta - Axarquía - Málaga

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 11:16:47 am »

Hi Manu,

Just wanted to say that it is not because your trip is not interesting  :), but it´s a long drive for many of us!  :-\

Saludos
Petrea & mogens

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Andalucia Bird Society  |  ABS Open forum  |  Calendar Events  |  Topic: Field meeting in Oct 2015 at the Odiel Marshes Huelva « previous next »

Login with username, password and session length